Wendell L. Taylor represents businesses and individuals in complex state and federal trial and class action litigation, with particular emphasis in antitrust litigation, antitrust criminal cartel investigations, and white-collar criminal defense.
Wendell is the managing partner of the firm’s Washington, DC office and a member of the firm’s Competition and Consumer Protection practice. Wendell counsels clients on a full spectrum of antitrust and Foreign Corrupt Practices issues.
Wendell’s clients are drawn from a broad range of industries, including retail and consumer products, telecommunications, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, technology and software, and banking and finance.
Wendell served as Counsel to the Deputy Attorney General of the United States Department of Justice, where he participated in oversight of the Antitrust, Tax and Civil Divisions, as well as the Office of the Pardon Attorney, the Community Relations Service and the United States Parole Commission.
Wendell has extensive trial experience. Wendell served as a Special Assistant US Attorney in the District of Columbia, where he handled all aspects of trial litigation and post-trial motions and arguments. Previously, as a prosecutor in the Richmond Commonwealth Attorney’s Office, Wendell first-chaired dozens of trials.
Committed to pro bono work, he serves as the firm’s coordinating partner for its partnerships with the Clemency Project and with the Federal Public Defender’s Service for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Wendell regularly handles protective order hearings for victims of domestic violence in conjunction with Legal Services of Northern Virginia and he obtained a five-figure state court jury verdict on behalf of a tenant in a fraud suit against a notorious Richmond landlord.
- Representing antitrust amnesty applicant in Department of Justice criminal investigation of pricing practices.
- Conducting FCPA due diligence for a major client’s potential acquisition target.
- Conducted an FCPA audit of an industry leading manufacturer of commercial equipment.
- Developed and conducted a comprehensive antitrust compliance program for a Fortune 500 diversified financial services company’s capital markets and municipal finance departments.
- Representing audit committee of a major company in an internal investigation into alleged fraud by a senior executive.
- Representing water works company in Federal Trade Commission antitrust anticompetitive practices investigation.
- Represented leading Japanese manufacturer in Department of Justice criminal antitrust investigation of pricing practices.
- Represented leading Japanese manufacturer in price fixing class action.
- Defended aerospace company in antitrust action challenging exclusive dealing arrangement.
- Represented an industry-leading manufacturer of horticultural products against alleged vertical restraint on appeal to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended an industry-leading manufacturer of horticultural products against alleged vertical restraint of trade in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania that resulted in summary judgment in favor of his client.
- Represented a putative class of processed milk purchasers in an antitrust conspiracy and monopolization action against milk processors and producers.
- Represented one of the world’s largest music companies before the Federal Trade Commission in its $1.9 billion acquisition of the recorded music business of EMI Music.
- After a Second Request and an extensive investigation, the Federal Trade Commission voted 5-0 to close its investigation without requiring divestitures or other remedies.
- Represented one of the world’s largest supermarket chains before the Federal Trade Commission in connection with strategic divestitures at grocery assets in the United States.
- Representing commercial tenant in high-profile lease dispute with a major developer.
- Represented cement and concrete manufacturer in an environmental cleanup dispute.
- Represented food retailer in breach of contract and intellectual property dispute.
- Represented several interested third parties in FTC v. Staples and Office Depot.
- Represented leading food services company in various breach of contract disputes with vendors.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 500 pork producer against a putative class of hog farmers in an antitrust class litigation.
- Advised a defense contractor on a cooperation agreement with a federal law enforcement service in a joint effort to expose and prevent international espionage and cyber-attacks.
- Defended an industry-leading telecommunications company against Robinson-Patman Act antitrust claims in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia that resulted in summary judgment in favor of client.
- Represented a major cigarette manufacturer in litigation involving the United States government regarding manufacturing quality and safety assurances, trade secrets and new product development.
- Represented an internet/virtual private network company in a misappropriation of trade.
- Fellow, University of Virginia, Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership, 2001
- JD, University of Richmond, Most Outstanding Student Award, Commencement Speaker, President of Student Bar Association, 1998
- BA, Wake Forest University, Full Athletic Football Scholarship, 1995
- District of Columbia
- Counsel to the Deputy Attorney General, US Department of Justice
- Special Assistant US Attorney, District of Columbia
- Prosecutor, Richmond (Virginia) Commonwealth Attorney’s Office
- Trustee, University of Richmond Board of Trustees
- Member, Dean’s Advisory Committee, University of Richmond School of Law
- Member, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law
- Member, National Bar Association
- Member, Military Bowl Board of Directors
- Past chair, Antitrust Section, Virginia State Bar
- Past member, Wake Forest University Alumni Council
- Past member, John Marshall American Inn of Court
- Past member, Judiciary Committee, Richmond Bar Association
- Former Bar Grader, Virginia Bar Examination
Rate : $$$$