S. Wesley Butler focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation, transportation litigation, employment litigation and counseling and ERISA and bad faith litigation. In addition, Mr. Butler has an active commercial and general litigation docket, including a wide variety of tort claims.
He represents parties in state and federal court litigation and arbitrations, and has represented creditors in the Northern and Eastern District of Texas Bankruptcy courts. He represents parties in administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Texas Workforce Commission and other agencies.
He has handled cases in the state and federal courts of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Butler provides counseling and litigation avoidance on all areas of employment law including issues concerning claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the WARN Act, ERISA, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, discrimination and sexual harassment, defamation in the workplace, negligent hiring, supervision and retention, covenants not-to-compete, employment contracts, and compensation under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
He also has experience drafting and implementing arbitration policies and nonsubscriber ERISA plans for employers.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Butler was a partner at a litigation law firm based in Dallas, Texas, where his practice included commercial, transportation, employment, tort, and ERISA/employee benefits litigation.
While attending law school, Mr. Butler was a member and articles editor of the SMU Law Review Association. He also served as a judicial intern in the 14th Judicial District Court, Dallas County, Texas.
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, J.D. (2004) cum laude
- University of Virginia, B.A., Foreign Affairs (2001)
- Texas (2004)
- Arizona (2013)
- Mississippi (2012)
- Oklahoma (2013)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas (2004)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (2006)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas (2006)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas (2006)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi (2017)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi (2017)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma (2017)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2011)
Rate : $$$$