Ms. Whitney Jones Roy has experience in all aspects of California and federal civil procedure through trial. She also defends her clients on appeal when necessary. Ms. Roy specializes in business litigation. Her experience includes representing companies in a variety of business disputes and against claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, breach of contract, and unfair business practices.
Ms. Roy’s cases have related to a broad spectrum of industries, including oil companies, financial institutions, insurance, real estate, construction equipment, food and beverage, and retail. Ms. Roy also specializes in complex environmental litigation and related products liability litigation. Her expertise includes the Clean Air Act, CERCLA, RCRA, design defect, failure to warn, negligence, nuisance, and trespass.
Ms. Roy counsels companies on compliance with California Prop 65 warning obligations and defends her clients when accused of failing to comply. Ms. Roy oversees the firm’s participation in Public Counsel’s pro bono Adoptions Project helping parents finalize adoptions in Los Angeles County. She also volunteers her time advocating for special education rights in partnership with The Alliance for Children’s Rights.
Ms. Roy is the founder of Sheppard Mullin’s Los Angeles Women Lawyers Group and a member of the firm’s Women’s Leadership Council. Ms. Roy also served as the Office Managing Partner for the Los Angeles office of Sheppard Mullin from 2009 to 2017. She is a member of Sheppard Mullin’s Recruiting Committee.
Each summer, Ms. Roy serves as an instructor and public speaking coach for Sheppard Mullin’s Trial Advocacy Program (“TAP”) for summer associates. Ms. Roy also is a member of the Board of Directors for the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank.
Ms. Roy was counsel for Exxon Mobil Corporation in City of Merced v. Chevron U.S.A. Inc., et al., a 4½-month products liability jury trial in Merced County Superior Court. She obtained dismissal on directed verdict of punitive damages and millions of dollars in claimed compensatory damages, followed by a favorable jury verdict.
Ms. Roy obtained the following significant victories in a series of cases regarding MTBE groundwater contamination and products liability claims pending in a federal multi-district litigation and in California courts:
- Summary judgment on all claims in City of Fresno v. Exxon Mobil Corporation, et al.
- Summary judgment on all claims in City of Merced Redevelopment Agency v. Exxon Mobil Corporation, et al.
- Summary judgment disposing of most of the claims asserted in Orange County Water District v. Unocal, et al. A portion of the case remains in the Southern District of New York while focus sites have been remanded to the Central District of California for trial.
Ms. Roy obtained summary judgment on all claims in Orange County Water District v. SABIC Innovative Plastics, et al. The case involved a claim for tens of millions of dollars in purported future damages associated with alleged groundwater contamination in Orange County asserted against approximately 40 property owners and manufacturers.
Ms. Roy obtained summary judgment in D&H v. Exxon Mobil Corporation. She argued and successfully defended the judgment on appeal before the Second Appellate District.
- J.D., University of Southern California, 2000,
- 1999 Champion of the USC’s Hale Moot Court Honors Program
- 2000 Outstanding Oralist at Brooklyn Law School’s Jerome Prince Evidence Moot Court Competition
- Worked for noted Professor Charles Whitebread as a teaching and research assistant
- Staff member for the Southern California Review of Law and Women’s Studies
- B.A., Political Science, University of California, Los Angeles, 1997, cum laude
- B.A., Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1997, cum laude
- California, 2000
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Women’s Law Association of Los Angeles
- Member, California Women Lawyers
- Member, National Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Alumnus, Leadership California – Class of 2005
Rate : $$$$