Will C. Autz is a highly-skilled intellectual property lawyer who specializes in complex patent litigation and IP transactions related to the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and chemical industries. He frequently represents high-profile pharmaceutical companies in patent litigations, many under the Hatch-Waxman Act, and has considerable experience in copyright and trademark litigations, and international arbitration and enforcement proceedings.
On the transactions side, Will advises a myriad of life sciences companies, from startups to industry leaders, across a broad array of matters, including licensing and collaborations, clinical trial agreements, settlements, opinion work, and IP due diligence related to mergers and acquisitions, and capital market ventures.
Furthermore, Will has worked on critical matters concerning anti-cancer therapies, antivirals, drugs for treating attention deficit disorder and enlarged prostate, biologics for regulating the immune system and for treating macular degeneration, eukaryotic protein expression technology, and oral contraceptives.
The successes in Will’s legal career can be attributed to his genuine dedication to intellectual property law and his responsiveness, tenacity, and dedication to his clients’ causes.
Will has been recognized as a New York “Rising Star” in Intellectual Property Litigation in a survey conducted and published by Super Lawyers Magazine, a Thomson Reuters publication (2014-2018).
- Litigation Experience:
- Representing international pharmaceutical company in an ANDA litigation involving patents covering a treatment for multiple myeloma (D. Del.)
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in an ANDA litigation involving patents covering an endocrine treatment for breast cancer; favorably settled (D.N.J.)
- Represented international pharmaceutical companies in an ANDA litigation involving a patent covering an anti-inflammatory ophthalmic product (D.N.J.)
- Defended industry-leading computer and electronics company in copyright infringement case; won dismissal during pleadings stage, affirmed on appeal (D. Md.)
- Defended international music distribution companies in litigation involving copyright, trademark, and breach of contract claims; won dismissal during pleadings stage (E.D.N.Y.)
- Represented international pharmaceutical companies in an ANDA litigation involving patents covering a treatment for attention deficit disorder; favorably settled (D. Del.)
- Represented international pharmaceutical company against biotechnology company in an arbitration before the ICC International Court of Arbitration concerning royalties due under a terminated license involving eukaryotic protein expression technology; conducted proceedings to enforce substantial arbitral award
- Defended international pharmaceutical companies against biotechnology company in patent infringement actions related to a fusion protein biologic that is useful in treating macular degeneration and certain types of cancer; favorably settled (S.D.N.Y.)
- Represented international pharmaceutical company against biotechnology companies in patent infringement actions related to a fusion protein biologic that is useful as an immunosuppressant
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in an ANDA litigation involving patents covering an anti-HIV combination therapy (D. Del.)
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in ANDA litigations involving patents covering oral contraceptives (D.N.J.)
- Transaction Experience :
- Representing US-based biopharmaceutical company in drafting and negotiating out-license with China-based biopharmaceutical company related to a novel neurotoxic biological product for cosmetic and therapeutic uses
- Represented China-based pharmaceutical company in negotiating in-license arrangement related to novel LpxC inhibitors as antibacterial agents
- Represented startup biopharmaceutical company in negotiating term sheet and in-license arrangement with university related to novel recombinant viruses for immunotherapy
- Represented startup biopharmaceutical company in formation, financing, and multi-university licensing arrangements for technology related to mitochondrial disease
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in license, development, commercialization and supply arrangements and amendments thereto related to novel tyrosine kinase inhibitor for treatment of blood-related cancers
- Represented Hong Kong-based biopharmaceutical company in license and services arrangement related to several respiratory, gastrointestinal and infectious disease novel drug candidates
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in license, development, commercialization and supply arrangements related to antineoplastic compound for treatment of non-Hodgkin B-cell lymphomas
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in termination of co-development agreement
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in license arrangement related to a hypertension therapy system
- Represented US-based manufacturing company in licensing and supply arrangement related to a proprietary formulation of a plant-based cleaning agent
- Represented medical device company in license arrangement related to detecting biomarkers in interstitial fluid
- Represented startup biopharmaceutical company with multiple non-disclosure and service agreements
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in negotiating clinical trial agreements, indemnity agreements, informed consent forms, and service agreements related to its novel cell-based immunotherapy product
- Represented international pharmaceutical company with issues related to multiple settlement agreements
- Represented pharmaceutical companies with respect to various due diligence matters, including freedom-to-operate searches, and invalidity and non-infringement opinions
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in license and supply arrangement related to animal health products
- Represented Chinese public company in acquisition of US-based manufacturer of point-of-care biometric testing devices
- New York
- US District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, J.D.
- Fordham University, B.S., Biological Sciences
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association (Patent Litigation Committee member)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
Rate : $$$$