Drawing from a unique combination of patent prosecution, patent licensing, and patent examination experience, William Cheng provides his clients with a true all-around perspective in crafting patent prosecution strategies directed to obtain the strongest patent protection possible.
William has prepared and prosecuted patent applications, performed due diligence work, and managed patent portfolios in the computer software, computer network, wireless communications, consumer products and electronics, lighting, medical device, surgical instruments and methods, business methods, biotechnology, and gaming device fields for a variety of clients, including startup companies, Fortune 500 companies, and universities.
Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, Will prepared and prosecuted patent applications as a member of several prominent Silicon Valley patent firms and as the in-house patent counsel of one of the world’s largest spinal medical device companies.
During his tenure at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Will was responsible for implementing USPTO examination procedures, particularly pertaining to 35 U.S.C. § 101 subject matter rejections and responsible for assisting judges in adjudicating ex parte software patent appeals cases in his role as a judicial law clerk on the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Baylor University, B.S., Neuroscience and Biology, 2005
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2009
- San Francisco Bay Area Intellectual Property Inn of Court, 2014-present
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association – Silicon Valley, 2014-present
- Pauline Newman Intellectual Property Inn of Court, Former Webmaster, 2012-2014
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association – Washington, D.C., 2013- 2014
Rate : $$$