William L. Carr is a member of the Governance and Corporate Law Disputes Team within the firm’s Litigation Group. William focuses his practice on securities litigation and accountants’ defense, internal investigations, white collar criminal defense and complex civil litigation.
William has represented clients in a number of venues, including in state and federal courts and before federal grand juries and various federal agencies.
William also maintains the SECurities Law Perspectives blog, which provides reports, discussions and analyses on noteworthy trends in enforcement and regulatory activity of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other agencies, such as the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC).
Prior to entering private practice, William served as a law clerk to the Honorable Joseph J. Rodriguez, U.S.D.J., in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Securities Litigation and Accountants’ Defense : William has represented numerous clients in securities litigation matters. His representative matters include :
- Representing an office managing partner of a national accounting firm who served as the concurring partner on a purportedly deficient audit in a Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) investigation that concerned alleged workpaper violations under both PCAOB standards and generally accepted auditing standards (GAAS). No charges or claims were brought against the client.
- Representing a futures trader in a CFTC investigation concerning alleged attempted market manipulation in violation of Sections 6(c), 6(d), and 9(a)(2) of the Commodity Exchange Act.
- Internal Investigations and White Collar Criminal Defense : William has also participated in a number of internal investigations and white collar criminal defense engagements. His representative matters include:
- Representing a Special Committee of the Board of Directors of a Fortune 500 company in connection with an investigation of alleged insider trading involving senior-level executives of the company.
- Assisting in a document-intensive investigation for a major health care company that involved unique and complex issues.
- Representing a Special Committee of the Board of Trustees of a major university in connection with an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct by a professor.
- Representing a corporate manager in connection with a federal grand jury investigation into alleged violations of the federal Clean Air Act.
- Product Liability Litigation : William has been a key member of the teams representing pharmaceutical manufacturers in a variety of different product-related claims, including
- Defending a pharmaceutical manufacturer in various state court actions alleging product liability, breach of warranty, common law fraud, Medicaid fraud, and violations of state deceptive trade practices acts.
- Defending class action civil Racketeer Influenced & Corrupt Organization (RICO) Act suit brought by third-party payors against a pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Rutgers University School of Law – Camden, J.D., 2005, with honors
- Rutgers University School of Business – Camden, M.B.A., 2005, with high honors
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 1999
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$