William R. Derasmo’s practice is focused on the representation of energy companies before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). Bill also has extensive experience in proceedings before state commissions dating back to his work as Assistant Counsel with the New York Public Service Commission (PSC) in the late 1990’s.
Bill has also stepped outside of the area of electric utility regulation, having represented a municipality in the negotiation of the renewal of a municipal cable franchise, and agreements pertaining to access to municipal rights-of-way for a distributed antenna system (DAS).
Representative Matters :
- Represented energy storage/grid scale battery owner in groundbreaking FERC complaint against RTO.
- Obtained FERC approvals for transmission rate incentives and the use of “forward-looking” formula rates.
- Counsel to utility purchasing capacity on merchant transmission line connecting two regional markets.
- Represent developer of major Midwest transmission project designed to deliver wind and other renewables to the Midwest market.
- Counsel to Midwest utility in inter-regional (or “inter-RTO”) transmission rate design and cost allocation proceedings.
- Counsel to independent electric generator in complaint proceeding against gas distribution company.
- Provided strategic advice to utility regarding the recovery of federally-imposed costs through retail rates.
- Through USAID sponsored programs, advised Romanian authorities regarding restructuring of electric utility industry, privatization of state run assets and maximizing the efficiency of transmission assets.
- Counsel to large New York municipality in negotiation of right-of-way agreement with fiber optic network bandwidth provider.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Energy Bar Association
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Board of Advisors, Washington, D.C. Externship program (2010-2012)
Professional Experience :
- Assistant Counsel, New York Public Service Commission, 1997-1999
- Assistant Attorney General, New York State Attorney General’s Office, 1995-1997
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Colgate University, B.A., 1991
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, New York, New Jersey
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
Rate : $$$$