William Devaney is a partner in the Firm’s North America Litigation group in New York, Chair of the North American Government Enforcement Practice and Co-Chair of the Global Compliance and Investigations Group. Since 2011, Mr. Devaney has been listed in New York Metro Super Lawyers in the Criminal Defense: White Collar category.
Mr. Devaney is co-chair of the ABA’s Transnational Crime Subcommittee, and an officer of the IBA’s Business Crime Committee. He previously served on the Criminal Justice Act Panel for the Southern District of New York, representing indigent clients in federal criminal matters. Mr. Devaney served as law clerk to the Honorable Oliver Gasch on the US District Court for the District of Columbia from 1993 to 1994.
Mr. Devaney’s main areas of practice are white collar criminal defense, investigations, compliance, and complex civil litigation. He has significant trial and appellate experience, as well as significant experience leading cross-border investigations and multi-jurisdictional enforcement matters and assisting clients with corporate compliance, especially in the anti-corruption area.
He was an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of New Jersey, where he was a member of the Securities Fraud Unit. As a federal prosecutor, Mr. Devaney investigated and prosecuted numerous cases involving securities fraud, bank fraud, mail and wire fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, terrorism, government program fraud, computer trespass, and sanctions violations. He served as the lead criminal tax prosecutor in the District of New Jersey and headed the Money Laundering Task Force.
- Cambridge University (LL.M. Honors) (1995)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.) (1991)
- Georgetown University (A.B. cum laude) (1988)
Admissions : New York~United States (1992)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- ABA White Collar Crime Section, Sub-Committee on Transnational Crimes – Co-Chair
- Officer of the IBA Business Crime Committee
- Criminal Justice Act panel for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York – Past member
- Federal Bar Council and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Member
Rate : $$$