In his 22 years of litigating intellectual property matters, William E. Devitt has successfully led litigation teams in district courts throughout the country, as well as at the International Trade Commission (ITC). He has handled cases covering a variety of technical subject matters, including semiconductors, wireless communications, data storage, power equipment, gaming machines, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices.
Bill also has significant experience representing and advising clients in connection with patent assertions, license negotiations, including FRAND issues, and other strategic transactions involving technology and intellectual property rights.
At the start of his career, Bill worked for seven years as a telecommunications engineer for the Central Intelligence Agency, where he gained extensive experience in a broad range of communication systems, including satellite and radio systems, fiber optics, microwave, network and switching systems, and encryption technology.
Bill is a member of the Richard Linn Inn of Court, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, and the Intellectual Property Owners Association. He has served as a guest lecturer on patent litigation topics at the University of Notre Dame Law School and has participated in numerous technology law seminars, both in the U.S. and abroad.
- The Catholic University of America (J.D. magna cum laude 1995);
- University of Notre Dame (B.S.E.E. 1986)
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois and District of Columbia
GOVERNMENT SERVICE : Communication Systems Engineer, Central Intelligence Agency (1986-1993)
- Mando resolves multipatent infringement suit filed by Robert Bosch GmbH
- Xilinx defends against patent claims by Japanese sovereign patent fund IP Bridge
- Mando resolves patent infringement suit related to brake systems brought by Jaguar Land Rover
- Micron defends against flash memory file system patent claim
- High Road Capital completes sale of Handi Quilter to Blue Point Capital
- Represented Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) in a patent infringement lawsuit at the ITC relating to semiconductor design and manufacturing patents.
- Represented Aker BioMarine in a patent infringement lawsuit at the ITC relating to the composition of krill oil extracts as a source of omega-3 phospholipids.
- Represented Advance Auto Parts and Hanesbrands in patent infringement lawsuits in the Eastern District of Texas relating to store locator technology.
- Represented Seiko Epson in a patent infringement lawsuit at the ITC relating to flash memory card adapter technology.
- Represented Fritsch GmbH in a patent infringement case in the District of Minnesota relating to dough cutting technology.
- Represented Elpida, Infineon, and IBM in a patent license/bankruptcy dispute in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented Trustwave in a patent infringement case in Eastern District of Texas relating to word check software system.
Rate : $$$