William H.D. Fones, shareholder in the Memphis office, concentrates his practice in taxation law. Mr. Fones’ practice includes federal and state tax planning associated with mergers and acquisitions, corporations, non-qualified executive compensation, partnerships, financial institutions, real estate investment trusts and regulated investment companies. He has handled federal and Tennessee state and local tax controversies at the administrative level and in court.
He has participated in a number of family tax planning transactions in connection with the representation of closely held businesses, including family limited partnerships, insurance trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts and other forms of grantor trusts.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Fones was a law clerk with the United States Claims Court, Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit, and Tax Law Specialist in Exempt Organizations for the National Office of the Internal Revenue Service.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1975
- George Washington University, LL.M. in Taxation, 1979
- Tulane University, B.A., 1972
ADMISSIONS : Tennessee, 1975
- Handled tax issues on numerous acquisitions and sales, both taxable and tax-free, both corporate and partnership/LLC, including hospitals, medical centers, banks, securities firms, REITs, retail chains and tech companies.
- Restructured family business corporations, LLCs and other enterprises for better income tax efficiency, succession planning, and gift and estate tax planning, including obtaining private letter rulings on preservation of S corporation status.
- Advised on the preservation of corporate net operating losses, including the adoption of NOL protection plans.
- Prepared wills, generation-skipping trusts, GRATs, grantor trusts, insurance trusts and charitable trusts.
- Probated estates and supervised related tax filings.
- Handled various state income tax disputes for financial institutions.
Rate : $$$