William F. Herrfeldt is a corporate attorney who focuses on investment fund formation, mergers and acquisitions, and debt financing. Bill has completed complex transactions for clients valued in the billions of dollars.
His clients include established large and middle-market companies; start-up and emerging growth companies; private funds; institutional investors; real estate investment managers, owners, and developers; and financial institutions.
Bill advises fund sponsors, investors, and other market participants on the organization, negotiation, structuring, and operations of investment funds. Bill’s experience in fund formation matters and operational issues faced by their sponsors includes small first-time funds and newly organized sponsors, through much larger funds and established sponsors.
He also counsels clients in mergers and acquisitions, structured equity, strategic partnering and joint ventures, private equity and venture capital transactions, and general corporate planning. In addition, he regularly advises real estate investment managers, owners, and developers in real estate joint ventures.
Bill’s debt financing practice involves advising borrowers and lenders in senior, mezzanine, and other subordinated debt financing transactions. Bill counsels investment funds and early-stage and large and middle-market companies as borrowers, and credit funds, banks, and other financial institutions as lenders in asset-based, cash flow, factoring, accounts receivable purchasing, and other credit or credit-like transactions.
Bill also has significant debt and servicing right purchase experience, including representing bank and non-bank purchasers of distressed and performing credit card receivables, mortgage loan portfolios, auto loan portfolios, and servicing rights from originators, intermediaries, and receivers.
- Represented Pacific Growth Investors in its growth equity and mezzanine debt-driven recapitalization of Conquest Firespray
- Represented Alta Growth Capital in the formation of its third fund focused on making investments in middle-market companies in Mexico and other Latin American countries
- Represented Presidio View Capital Partners in the formation of its flagship venture capital fund focused on making investments in the U.S. cannabis industry
- Represented experienced real estate asset manager in the formation of its first commingled real estate private equity fund focused on opportunistically acquiring value-add commercial real estate
- Represented Guthy-Renker LLC in the 2016 sale of a majority interest of its worldwide Proactiv business, the world’s leading non-prescription acne brand, to Nestlé Skin Health
- Represented a major privately held coal company in the stock acquisitions of two competitors, for a combined purchase price of $66 million
- Represented one of the largest housing products distributors in North America in multiple strategic acquisitions and acquisition financing transactions
- Represented a national licensed sporting goods retailer in the sale of its assets to a major publicly held retailer for a total transaction value in excess of $34 million
- Represented a regional petroleum jobber in the acquisition of the assets of a major mid-Atlantic jobber and gas station owner; total transaction was valued at more than $26 million.
- J.D. cum laude University of Maryland School of Law 2006
- B.A. cum laude Gettysburg College 2002
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Community : Serves on the board of directors of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America, Maryland/S. Delaware Chapter.
Rate : $$$