William H. “Bill” Howard, shareholder in the New Orleans and Baton Rouge offices, concentrates his practice in tort and commercial litigation. Mr. Howard has extensive experience in a wide variety of subject matters including property disputes, contract drafting and tort claims.
Mr. Howard served in the United States Air Force from 1973 to 1977, and from 1975 to 1977 as an officer in the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard in Washington, D.C.
- University of Mississippi, J.D., 1980, Moot Court Board (Chairman)
- Central Michigan University, M.A., 1976
- Mississippi State University, B.A., 1973
- Louisiana, 1980
- Mississippi, 1980
- Served as national counsel to a Class I railroad on hearing loss claims and regarding compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Federal Railroad Administration regulations regarding noise in the workplace.
- Represented a Class I railroad in numerous negotiations and trials of cases involving property rights disputes with owners of land abutting the railroad right of way.
- Achieved a directed verdict for a railroad in a suit by a trespasser whose legs were amputated as he attempted to cross between two train cars and who alleged that the railroad knew persons were on the premises and had a duty to sound a horn or keep a look out for trespassers before moving.
- Served as defense counsel for an employment discrimination/harassment lawsuit against a Class 1 railroad arising out of Maintenance of Way operations in southeast Louisiana. Summary judgment for the railroad company.
- Represented a railroad company sued under Louisiana law by a landowner seeking a declaration and related injunction to reinstall private crossings. Successfully removed the case and obtained dismissal of all claims with prejudice on the grounds that the claims were preempted by the Interstate Commerce Commission Termination Act.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – American, Federal, Louisiana, Mississippi and New Orleans Bar Associations
- Member – International Association of Defense Counsel
- Member – National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (Southwest Region Vice President, 2012 – 2013)
- Named to “Leadership in Law”, New Orleans CityBusiness (2007)
Rate : $$$