William H. Manning has moved one billion dollars from one side of the table to the other at a 10 to 1 return in patent litigation without a trial. He also has three ten-million-dollar and three five-million-dollar settlements for plaintiffs in products liability and personal injury cases. Additionally, he has obtained numerous million-dollar-plus personal injury settlements.
One case was an 8.5-million-dollar jury verdict for a double amputee against the Case Corporation as a result of a defective tractor design. This verdict included two million dollars of punitive damages. It was appealed on choice of law and other issues and the Wisconsin Supreme Court unanimously upheld the verdict. A book was written about this case titled: “A Measure of Endurance: The Unlikely Triumph of Steven Sharp,” by William Mishler.
After the case, Bill and his client, Steven Sharp, testified before the Senate Commerce Committee on Tort Reform issues. A short statute of repose was rejected by the Committee. The testimony resulted in the ATLA creation of the Steven J. Sharp Award, now presented annually to a lawyer and a client who come forward with a case that makes a legislative difference.
Bill has done a great deal of commercial litigation of all types and has also defended patent and products liability cases. In 40 years of practice with Robins Kaplan, Bill has developed and been successful serving 20 multi-million dollar clients. His success is attributed to exceptional client service, working with talented young lawyers, and developing and leading teams who know how to win.
In addition to his legal practice, Bill has made numerous contributions to his community. In 2003, Bill founded Mitchell Hamline School of Law’s Nelson Mandela Scholarship Fund, a program that provides annual scholarship support for a student who is from South Africa or Africa, or a student who embodies the ideals of love and forgiveness exemplified by Nelson Mandela.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Minnesota
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Minnesota Chapter
- Academy of Catastrophic Injury Lawyers
- Life-time member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Appointed as chair of a Magistrate Selection Committee and appointed three times as a member of the Federal Court Magistrate Selection Committee and twice to a Magistrate Reappointment Committee.
- Past Appointed Member of the Minnesota Federal Court Federal Practice Committee
Rate : $$$$