William R. McLucas is one of the most sought-after advisors to public companies, boards of directors, audit committees and special committees dealing with corporate crises and related issues. He joined the firm after serving for more than eight years as Director of Enforcement for the Securities and Exchange Commission—longer than any other Enforcement Division Director in Commission history.
He represents public companies, investment banks, accounting firms and advisors to mutual funds facing a variety of corporate and market crises, as well as Securities and Exchange Commission investigations. Mr. McLucas is chair of the firm’s Securities Department.
In 1977, Mr. McLucas joined the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Division of Enforcement. He led the Division’s Staff in numerous high-profile investigations and landmark enforcement actions, including hundreds of insider trading cases and numerous inquiries and proceedings involving public companies, accounting firms, investment banks, and participants in the municipal securities markets.
In addition, Mr. McLucas has overseen numerous audit committee and special committee inquiries, and has also represented numerous corporate executives and directors in connection with Securities and Exchange Commission investigations.
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business describes Mr. McLucas as “a cut above everyone else.” Mr. McLucas is a frequent speaker on panels and programs on topics pertaining to securities laws, corporate governance and law enforcement.
- Represented the board committees in some of the most prominent corporate scandals that have arisen recently in the US markets, including the Special Committees of both Enron and WorldCom.
- Advised the Special Committee of the Board of Nortel Networks in its review of certain accounting restatements and, more recently, the Special Committee of the Board of UnitedHealth Group in its review of options dating issues.
- Represented numerous public companies and their executives, as well as public accounting firms and hedge funds in connection with securities enforcement and regulatory inquiries.
- JD, Temple University Beasley School of Law, 1975
- BA, Pennsylvania State University, 1972
ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, New York.
GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE : Securities and Exchange Commission, Division of Enforcement, Director.
Rate : $$$