William A. Meunier has mastered the complexities of inter partes review (IPR) proceedings and high-stakes patent litigation. Bill has helped patent owners achieve success in more than 90% of IPRs, compared to the industry average of only 35%.
In addition, at the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, he also achieved the first complete reversal and remand of an IPR decision against a patent owner. Bill also has over 20 years of experience litigating patent cases, both in district courts throughout the United States and before the International Trade Commission.
Bill handles all types of intellectual property disputes, with a particular emphasis on patent infringement litigation, inter partes reviews, and other matters related to the enforcement of intellectual property rights.
He has litigated intellectual property cases in District Courts throughout the United States, including the Eastern District of Virginia, Northern and Southern Districts of California, Eastern District of Texas, District of Massachusetts, District of Delaware, Northern District of Ohio, and Middle District of North Carolina.
With more than 18 years of experience, Bill counsels clients in all phases of patent litigation, from initial counseling through trial and appeal. He has extensive experience leading litigation teams to resolve patent infringement disputes in a diverse array of technology areas such as internet services and systems; computer hardware and software; mobile systems and applications; medical devices and services; biotechnology; mechanical devices and manufacturing; sports equipment; and toys and novelties.
In addition, his practice encompasses representing clients in cases involving copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, unfair competition, and patent-related antitrust issues.
- Successful Defense of 12 IPRs – Three dimensional structure memory – Mintz Levin represented Elm 3DS Innovations in a series of 14 IPRs filed by leading technology companies, including SK Hynix, Micron, and Samsung. We were hired as replacement counsel following institution of the IPRs which had been filed in late 2015 and early 2016. Final Written decisions in 13 of the proceedings were received in June and August 2017 and confirmed validity of all but two challenged claims.
- Lead attorney in the defense against seventeen inter partes reviews, including petitions filed by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.; Cisco Systems, Inc.; Avaya Inc.; LG Electronics, Inc.; Toshiba Corp.; VIZIO, Inc.; Hulu, LLC; and FedEx
- Certain Computing or Graphics Systems, Components Thereof, and Vehicles Containing Same (337-TA-984) – Represented owner of portfolio of graphics processing and microprocessor patents as Complainant in an ITC investigation adverse to a number of automotive manufacturers, and infotainment system and chip suppliers. Respondents include Honda, Toyota, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen, NVIDIA, Texas Instruments, Renesas, Harman International, and Fujitsu-Ten. The investigation instituted in January of 2016 and resolved favorably prior to the conclusion of expert discovery in August of 2016.
- The John Marshall Law School (JD, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- Tufts University (BS, Mechanical Engineering)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Rate : $$$