William H. Paine represents public companies, financial services companies and financial institutions, and their officers and directors, with respect to securities, derivative and ERISA litigation in state and federal courts, internal investigations, and SEC investigations and civil enforcement actions.
Litigation: Mr. Paine has defended more than 50 securities class actions brought in federal and state courts. Reported cases include the dismissal of securities class actions brought against numerous companies, including: The First Marblehead Corporation, Medtronic, Art Technology Group, Boston Scientific, Security Dynamics Technologies, Inc., Shiva Corporation, Boston Technology, and Chipcom Corporation. He has comparable experience defending derivative actions and ERISA class actions.
Investigations: Mr. Paine represents technology and financial services companies, financial institutions and their officers and directors with respect to SEC investigations and internal investigations, including investigations concerning accounting matters (e.g., revenue recognition and stock option compensation), FCPA, corporate governance, internal controls and insider trading.
Mr. Paine speaks regularly about securities litigation, disclosure, insider trading, officer and director liability, and directors and officers liability insurance.
- Recent dismissals of open market fraud actions and derivative actions against software companies and a medical devices company in Massachusetts, Minnesota, Delaware and North Carolina.
- Numerous internal and SEC investigations on matters such as software and other revenue recognition, FCPA, stock option compensation, and insider trading.
- Recent dismissals of Securities Act class action claims against underwriters of CDO certificates, and open market fraud claims against a facilitator of asset-backed securities offerings.
- Represent bank holding company in ERISA and open market fraud claims, litigation concerning foreign exchange pricing, and internal and other investigations.
- JD, Boston University School of Law, 1987
- BA, Amherst College, 1983
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts
Rate : $$$$