William R. Poplin Jr. focuses his practice on public-private partnership transactions and privatizations as well as large-scale complex commercial infrastructure, transportation, construction and development projects. He also is involved in the representation of clients initiating or expanding their business operations within the United States markets. Mr. Poplin has tried cases to judges, juries and arbitrators, and conducted numerous mediations on a full range of construction and commercial disputes and issues.
Mr. Poplin’s matters have arisen from all types of projects and other initiatives across the globe in which he has represented owners, public agencies, concessionaires, design/engineering firms, contractors, lenders, subcontractors, developers, sureties and suppliers, as well as many general business entities.
Mr. Poplin has handled numerous large multibillion dollar projects and transactions. As a result of his extensive work in in the public sector, Mr. Poplin maintains productive working relationships with many current and former legislators, department heads and agency chairpersons.
Mr. Poplin also advises and counsels a number of clients involved in college and professional athletics.
Mr. Poplin was recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Construction Law in 2019 and the 11 years immediately preceding. He was recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine in Construction, Business/Corporate and General Business in 2018 and the ten years immediately preceding.
Mr. Poplin was recommended by Legal 500 US in 2014 for Construction Law. He speaks conversational Spanish. Mr. Poplin is AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell.*
*CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedure’s standards and policies.
- Counsel to Central European Consortium led by principals from Sweden in connection with US $300 million,120 MW hydropower facility development in Panama.
- Counsel to major stakeholder in connection with the most significant waterway dredging project and associated port facilities expansion currently planned in the United States. Secured pivotal environmental and other required permits and handled political challenges as well as complex litigation in multiple federal and state and administrative law courts. The Project will enable Post-Panamax container ships to navigate the federal navigation channel and to call upon the pertinent Port thereby resulting in a multi-billion dollar economic impact to the country and to the region.
- Counsel to Danish Consortium in connection with a US $ 650 million 223 MW hydropower facility development in Panama.
- Counsel to the Greenville County, South Carolina School District in connection with its innovative US $1 billion plan to design and construct over 70 new and renovated schools in a 3-1/2 year period. Counseled the District with respect to overall program definition, development, financing, licensing and procurement issues as well as media strategies and political dynamics. Also served as lead counsel in negotiating and drafting the Program Management, Construction Management and Master Development Agreements, and provided oversight in connection with the implementation and delivery of the program.
- Counsel to California domiciled owner of US $1 billion 110 MW net thermal solar power facility.
- Counsel to EPC Consortium that planned, designed, built and delivered the US $650 million Cooper River Bridges Replacement Project in Charleston, South Carolina. Advised the Consortium with respect to South Carolina Department of Transportation issues, procurement strategies, contract negotiation/execution, political dynamics and overall Project delivery.
- Counsel to the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority regarding the US $4 billion Boston Harbor Project.
- Project counsel to the joint venture entity created by the State of Georgia and the State of South Carolina to develop a new US $5 billion ocean marine terminal facility on the Savannah River in Jasper County, South Carolina.
- Counsel to top 5 US Port Authority involving a variety of matters, including: land use and zoning issues arising out of the construction and operation of containerized and break bulk cargo terminals; right-of-way acquisition, business, finance and political issues relating to a major bridge project; environmental impact, permitting, landlord-tenant/licensing issues.
- Counsel to the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority regarding the Metro West Water Supply Tunnel Project in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Counsel to British Consulate General regarding political and economic initiatives in the Southeastern United States.
- Counsel to major international Infrastructure Bank in connection with multiple toll road projects.
- Counsel to real estate development firm in connection with multiple projects in California.
- Represented a major Texas municipality in connection with the city’s Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion.
- Counsel to ENR top 5 design firm regarding various projects throughout United States.
- Represented general contractor in connection with hotel projects for a national hotel chain in Arizona, Connecticut and Georgia.
- Counsel to professional and intercollegiate coaches, owners and general managers in connection with employment and endorsement contracts, media appearances/arrangements, NCAA compliance issues and general strategic counseling.
- Counsel to members of Board of Trustees of Southeastern Conference university regarding variety of NCAA and intercollegiate athletics issues.
- Counsel to Southeastern Conference university regarding expansion of athletic facilities.
- Negotiation and enforcement of more than 250 sports contracts for professional and Olympic athletes.
- University of South Carolina, J.D. (1986)
- University of South Carolina, B.A. (1983) magna cum laude
- Harvard Business School, Executive Program – Leading Professional Services Firms
- Georgia (1986)
Rate : $$$