William E. Potts Jr.’s practice focuses on commercial and complex civil litigation. Bill’s practice focuses on commercial and complex civil litigation. Bill has represented clients in a range of industries, including financial services, software development, electronics manufacturing, automobile manufacturing, telecommunications, petrochemical refining, food services and retail operations.
Bill was a Law Clerk to the Honorable Oren R. Lewis, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, from 1977 to 1978.
Bill is admitted to practice in the following Courts: U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit; U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia, the Western District of Virginia, the District of Columbia, the District of Colorado, and the Eastern District of Michigan.
- Defended a student loan servicer against Fair Credit Reporting Act claims in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Defended a supermarket chain against antitrust and tortious inference claims in a Maryland state court and in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.
- Represented a retail chain in litigation over deficiencies in construction site development in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia.
- Defended a foreign government in arbitration conducted pursuant to a Bilateral Investment Treaty before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes.
- Defended a software developer against challenges to an arbitration award in D.C. Superior Court and in a Virginia state court.
- Defended a foreign utility in arbitration before the Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes.
- Represented a supermarket chain in state tax litigation in North Carolina state court.
Defended a student loan company in a consumer class action in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
- Tried a dispute over Native American land rights in the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona.
- Defended a major DRAM manufacturer in a patent infringement action in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Tried a commercial dispute between competitors in the student loan industry in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Prosecuted and mediated a patent infringement action involving night vision technology in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.
- Tried three wrongful death actions involving claims of benzene-induced blood diseases in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia.
- Defended a major electronics company against intellectual property claims involving telecommunications technology in state court in Dallas, Texas.
- Defended a major refining company against personal injury claims arising from an explosion and chemical release in state court in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Defended a newspaper in a lender liability action brought in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Tried claims brought by a major supermarket chain against a television network for activities that resulted in a Prime Time Live broadcast.
- Tried business tort and legal malpractice claims in state court in Fairfax, Virginia.
- Arbitrated and mediated personal injury claims arising from alleged chemical exposures.
- JD, The Catholic University of America, 1977
- BA, University of Virginia, 1974
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
Rate : $$$