William A. Rudy is a veteran intellectual property litigator whose practice centers on complex patent litigation. With a background in chemical engineering, Bill possesses an in-depth understanding of his clients’ IP assets. He has extensive experience in patent litigation, licensing and prosecution, particularly in the areas of :
- Polymerase chain reactions (PCRs) used to amplify and detect the presence of targeted genes
- Alzheimer’s disease genetics and therapeutics
- Fluorescent protein and its related genetics
- Phosphate/phosphite agrochemistry
- Glucose test-strip technology (for diabetics to test glucose levels)
Successfully defended the national retailer and manufacturer in a patent case in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire where the plaintiff sought hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. Litigation resulted in multiple favorable Markman rulings, and ultimately, summary judgment on all claims.
Served as lead counsel for Collective Licensing International in an International Trade Commission action claiming patent infringement stemming from the sale of popular clog-style footwear. Achieved a complete victory in the case. The judge exonerated all accused shoes and invalidated one of Crocs’ two principal patents.
Served as lead defense counsel in a two-week jury trial before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. Obtained a favorable verdict on behalf of the defendant, which was affirmed on appeal before the Sixth Circuit.
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Bill was chair of the Intellectual Property Division and a member of the Executive Committee at a national law firm, where he assisted in the opening and management of several new offices across the country.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (J.D., 1987)
- University of Missouri-Columbia(B.S., cum laude, 1981)
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- University of Missouri Academy of Distinguished Chemical Engineers
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
BAR ADMISSIONS : Missouri, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Rate : $$$