William I. Sanderson is the co-chair of McGuireWoods’ private wealth services group and a member of the firm’s fiduciary advisory services practice. He represents both high-net worth individuals and families on a variety of sensitive and complex estate and business planning matters. His practice focuses on the areas of estate planning and estate and trust administration.
A frequent speaker, Bill has also taught Federal Taxation Practice and Procedure at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Business. Prior to completing his law degree at the University of Virginia School of Law, Bill completed coursework at the University of South Carolina School of Law. While attending the University of Virginia, Bill was a member of the Raven Society and the Jefferson Literary and Debating Society.
- Provided comprehensive estate, trust, tax and closely-held business planning advice to multiple generations of high net worth families.
- Advised single family office operating in several states on Dodd-Frank Act compliance and related issues.
- Drafted multiple grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), including GRATs holding closely held business interests and large concentrations of publicly held securities; assisted clients in managing GRAT annuity payments and terminations.
- Worked with Generation X and Generation Y members of high net worth families on the legal strategies to finance, build and grow start-up businesses.
- University of Virginia, JD, 2006
- University of Virginia, BA, 1998
Admissions : District of Columbia, Virginia.
- Fellow, The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, 2018-present
- Chair, Business Planning Group, Section of Real Property Trust and Estate Law, American Bar Association
- Member, Trust and Estate Legislative Committee Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Epilepsy Foundation of Virginia, 2000–2003
Rate : $$$$