William Mathias is a shareholder in the Health Law Group in Baker Donelson’s Baltimore office. He co-chairs the Firm’s Fraud and Abuse Subgroup. Mr. Mathias represents clients across the country in all areas of the health care industry, with a focus on fraud and abuse, internal and government investigations and corporate compliance matters.
Bill has extensive experience counseling clients on compliance with the federal Anti-kickback Law, the Stark Physician Self-Referral Statute and the federal Civil Monetary Penalty provisions. With the changing nature of the health care system, Bill works with hospitals and health care systems to develop physician alignment strategies, including joint ventures, co-management agreements, and gainsharing arrangements.
He also advises health systems and GPOs on compliance with the discount and GPO safe harbors as well as strategies for reducing legal risks associated with cutting edge supply chain management and purchasing programs.
Bill regularly works with investors and health care companies to evaluate potential opportunities, identify risks and structure transactions in an effort to mitigate risk. He directs health care due diligence efforts for clients and transactions counsel. Bill conducts internal investigations; defends against government investigations and qui tam false claims cases.
He has extensive experience working with clients to resolve matters through the OIG and CMS voluntary self-disclosure protocols. Bill has successfully obtained several OIG advisory opinions. He also has experience advising health care providers facing exclusion from Medicare and other federal health care programs as well as health care companies that have employed excluded providers.
Over the years, Bill has gained significant experience in negotiating Corporate Integrity Agreements (CIAs) and helping health care companies to navigate the complexities of operating under a CIA. In addition, he regularly assists clients with developing and monitoring the effectiveness of compliance programs.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1996, with honors
- Amherst College, B.A., 1990, cum laude
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Assisted large, national for-profit health system in vetting fraud & abuse and Stark issues in multiple clinical co-management arrangements designed to improve quality and enhance hospital/physician alignment.
- Led health care regulatory due diligence team for Fortune 20 company in connection with multiple stock acquisitions valued upwards of $60 million.
- Advised multiple, large, for-profit and not-for-profit health systems in analyzing fraud & abuse risks associated with their supply chain management and purchasing strategy, including compliance with the discount and group purchasing organization (GPO) safe harbors.
- Member – American Bar Association
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Member – Maryland State Bar Association
- Member – Serjeants Inn Law Club
Community Service : Young Lawyers Division, Past Board Member – Legal Aid Bureau
Rate : $$$