William Roppolo is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Miami office. He has successfully tried commercial and criminal cases throughout the United States, including matters involving alleged antitrust, fraud and money laundering violations. William began his legal career investigating financial crimes with the United States Customs Service.
He is a former president of the Federal Bar Association’s South Florida chapter and was recently appointed to the national Federal Bar Association’s Professional Ethics Committee. He has published many articles on topics ranging from anti-corruption to successor liability.
He heads the Firm’s Litigation and Government Enforcement Practice Group in Miami and is a member of the Government Enforcement steering committee. William is a trial lawyer who focuses on disputes concerning multinational corporations and individuals.
He has successfully resolved cases involving asset forfeitures, trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duties, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, export control laws, customs fraud and financial crimes. William has obtained multiple not guilty jury verdicts for clients and prevented many others from criminal investigation and indictment.
- University of Miami (JD) (1999)
- Tulane University (BA) (1996)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2011)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida~United States (2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States (2004)
- Lead, No. 06-71955, Pro-Bono, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Young Sun Shin v. Alberto R. Gonzales, Attorney General of the United States of America
- Drug Free Youth In Town
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Federal Bar Association, Professional Ethics Committee – Member (2018-2019)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Member
- Florida International Bankers Association (FIBA) – Member
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Member
- Florida Bar, Federal Court Practice Committee – Former Member (2010-2012)
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter – Former President (2009-2010)
Representative Legal Matters:
- Represented a global distributor of electronics in an investigation by the Bureau of Industry and Security for alleged export violations.
- Represented a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission into alleged FCPA violations in China.
- Representing a multibillion-dollar company in parallel government investigations regarding alleged exports contrary to the Export Administration Regulations and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
- Successfully obtained a dismissal as lead counsel in an USD 11 billion civil RICO claim against an international logistics company.
Rate : $$$