William J. Vesely Jr. focuses his practice on ERISA and employee benefits generally, ESOPs, multiemployer plan withdrawal liability and executive compensation. He has written and lectured on many areas of employee benefits law, including ESOPs, 401(k) plans, handling benefit plans in acquisitions and mergers, nondiscrimination requirements for retirement plans, and multiemployer withdrawal liability.
Mr. Vesely was recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law and ERISA Litigation in 2019 and has been so recognized for more than 10 years. In 2012, 2015 and 2016, he was named as an “Atlanta Lawyer of the Year” in the area of ERISA Litigation by The Best Lawyers in America®. Mr. Vesely was named a Georgia “Super Lawyer” in Employee Benefits and ERISA law by Super Lawyers magazine in 2013 and the three years immediately preceding. He has also been recognized in The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers for 2009. He is AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell.*
*CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedure’s standards and policies.
- Worked with senior HR executives and the Board of a hospital that is a government entity to update the hospital’s executive employment arrangements and benefit programs and to integrate benefits for several health care entities the hospital acquired.
- Represented a large West Coast manufacturing company in resolving significant issues related to the operation of its ESOP, including strategy to obtain IRS compliance statement.
- Represented a major bottled water company in the restructuring of its executive benefit programs, including executive medical and split dollar life insurance.
- Represented an asset management company with restructuring of all employee benefit programs.
- Represented the Compensation Committee of a publicly-traded company in updating and renegotiating the employment agreements of the CEO and other senior executives.
Assisted a leading Southeast textile rental and envelope manufacturing company with compensation and benefit matters in connection with the spin-off of its lighting and chemical businesses as a separate public company.
- Represented Equifax Inc., one of the United States’ largest credit reporting agencies, in all aspects of benefit plans and executive compensation plans related to the $2 billion tax-free spin-off of its payment services business into a new public company, Certegy Inc.
- Assisted a nationwide community-based health organization with the review and updating of their broad-based qualified plans and executive benefit programs.
- Harvard University, J.D.
- Yale University, B.A. magna cum laude
Rate : $$$