Companies facing high-stakes class actions and other commercial litigation regularly call on William N. Withrow to represent them. During his many years of trial and appellate practice, Bill has represented major companies in federal and state court proceedings in more than 20 states, including some of the nation’s most dangerous jurisdictions.
Known for his calm, focused approach to contentious disputes, Bill is adept in helping clients appropriately assess their goals and the risks inherent in going to trial. Although Bill focuses on resolving disputes outside the courtroom whenever possible, companies most often turn to him when a high-stakes matter is going to trial. In particular, clients appreciate Bill’s tested ability to read juries.
For matters litigated to conclusion in these high-exposure cases, Bill’s clients insist that he handle any resulting appeals. In addition, he is often brought in to serve as lead appellate counsel where an outcome in the trial court has created substantial risk for the client. Bill has argued a number of precedent-setting appeals, including several in the federal circuit courts.
Bill served as chair of the firm’s Litigation Department from 2003 through 2018, was a member of the Executive Committee, and currently is the managing partner of the firm’s Chicago office.
Bill’s experience in federal and state court matters includes : class actions, consumer finance, merger and acquisition disputes, corporate governance, unfair competition.
Representative Matters :
- Representing Columbus Regional Healthcare, a regional medical center in Columbus, Georgia, in a precedent-setting case that is currently before the Georgia Supreme Court. The issue at stake relates to how hospitals price and file liens.
- Representing SunTrust Bank in a putative class action in which the plaintiff asserts that overdraft fees charged to checking accounts are interest charges subject to Georgia’s usury laws. The matter is currently on appeal to the Georgia Court of Appeals.
- Defended various Anthem entities in a putative class action in which the plaintiffs, a group of out-of-network healthcare providers, challenged Blue Cross of Georgia’s reimbursement rates for out-of-network providers. The defendants’ motion to dismiss was granted as to all claims.
- Served as national litigation counsel to Associates First Capital Corp. and its affiliates in various litigation matters, including defense of consolidated multidistrict class actions.
- Served as lead counsel to Matria Healthcare in litigation against selling stakeholders in multiple fora asserting fraud and breach of contract claims arising out of the company’s merger with a competitor.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict as lead trial counsel to ARRIS International in defending against a breach of contract action brought by a supplier of parts for the company’s cable systems.
- Acted as trial counsel to Delta Air Lines in a breach of contract action relating to modifications of Delta’s MD-88 fleet.
- Served as lead counsel to sanofi-aventis U.S. LLC in a putative national class action alleging RICO and various state law claims arising out of the company’s marketing and promotion of one of its prescription drugs. The trial court denied certification, and the decision was affirmed on appeal.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Chair, Outreach Committee (2010-11); Member, Task Force on Discovery and Civil Justice (2010-2016); Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Master, Joseph Henry Lumpkin American Inn of Court
- Fellow, Lawyers Foundation of Georgia
- Member, Board of Trustees, Eleventh Circuit Historical Society
Professional Experience : Law Clerk to The Honorable James C. Hill, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 1978-1979
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Georgia, B.A., magna cum laude
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia, Illinois
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Rate : $$$