Witt W. Chang is a Los Angeles-based commercial litigator focused on efficiently resolving the gamut of legal challenges faced by businesses competing in the modern marketplace. Witt primarily represents businesses operating in California in a variety of traditional and burgeoning Los Angeles industries, including new media and entertainment, advertising and marketing, hospitality, and real estate.
Witt has appeared before federal and state trial and appellate courts, routinely and successfully briefing motions and first-chairing hearings on behalf of his clients. He is intimately familiar with California federal and state procedural law, which he utilizes to maximum effect for clients. Witt is also experienced in alternative dispute resolution, whether in mediation or arbitration.
Clients appreciate Witt’s level-headed demeanor and business-minded approach in analyzing and resolving complex legal issues. Prior to joining Venable, Witt was based in and around the Washington, D.C. metro area, working in the field of counterterrorism.
- Obtaining favorable pre-litigation solutions for employers and executives in employee mobility cases, often involving trade secret misappropriation claims;
- Representing prominent real estate investment management firms in resolving construction defect and wrongful foreclosure matters;
- Representing a food services client in successfully petitioning for the return of business records seized by the Internal Revenue Service;
- Obtaining injunctive relief for client at outset of litigation and resolving complicated business dispute between family partnership and rogue partner in matter involving breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty;
- Representing an international equipment and parts manufacturer in successfully unwinding a secured transaction relating to allegedly defective alternative energy equipment threatening to cause an imminent environmental hazard; and
- Obtaining a very favorable settlement on the eve of trial for plaintiff in litigation involving a pharmaceutical royalty transaction and breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- J.D. UCLA School of Law 2011
- B.S. cum laude Georgetown University, Walsh School of Foreign Service 2006
Bar Admissions : California
Professional Memberships :
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Witt serves on the Pro Bono Committee for the firm’s Los Angeles office, and maintains an active pro bono practice. For instance, working in tandem with organizations such as the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles and Kids in Need of Defense, he has successfully resolved unlawful detainer and immigration issues on behalf of pro bono clients.
Witt is also involved in representing the Venice Community Housing Center, an organization that seeks to reduce homelessness and maximize affordable housing in West Los Angeles. Other representative pro bono clients include individual entrepreneurs, the Amitofo Charity Center, and the Community Enrichment Project.
Witt also serves on the firm’s Hiring Committee, and is the Los Angeles coordinator for the firm’s nationally ranked summer associate program. As an active alumnus of UCLA Law, Witt participates in UCLA Law’s Alumni Mentor Program and its Mock Interview Program.
In 2016, Witt was one of two associates selected to participate as the firm’s representatives in the Leadership Council for Legal Diversity Pathfinder Program. Since then, Witt has remained active in LCLD leadership, most recently serving as a co-chair of the planning committee charged with organizing the 2018 Pathfinder alumni conference.
Rate : $$$