Yehudah L. Buchweitz is a partner in Weil’s Litigation Department, where his practice focuses on a wide spectrum of complex commercial litigation and arbitration. In 2015, Mr. Buchweitz was recognized as one of just five “MVPs” nationwide for Media & Entertainment by Law360, and since 2015 he has been annually named a “recommended” lawyer nationwide by Legal 500, including in the areas of General Commercial Disputes, Antitrust: Civil Litigation, Media & Entertainment and Sports.
Mr. Buchweitz has handled a number of contract, First Amendment, right of publicity, antitrust, and copyright matters for clients in the media, sports, and entertainment industries. He also represents pharmaceutical and bio-tech companies as plaintiffs and defendants in international and domestic arbitrations and litigation regarding commercial practices and pricing, milestones, contracts, and partnerships.
More generally, Mr. Buchweitz counsels clients across the industry spectrum in connection with bankruptcy litigation, investment disputes, real estate disputes, judgment enforcement issues, and “business divorce” matters. He has represented clients through every phase of litigation.
- multiple television programmers in disputes with cable operators concerning the implications of significant cable operator acquisitions and mergers;
- a major cable network in connection with numerous high-profile disputes regarding the broadcast of professional boxing matches;
- a major television broadcaster in its successful early dismissal from a multi-district litigation relating to professional football programming;
- global pharmaceutical companies in several contract disputes in multiple international and domestic arbitral fora arising out of drug or device development collaboration, licensing and merger agreements;
- a sports radio station in a putative nationwide class action alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act;
- a radio broadcaster in connection with an arbitration regarding the creation of a national sports radio network;
- a multi-media rights organization in a contract dispute with a major state university;
- a private university in its successful withdrawal from a Division I athletic conference; and
- a portfolio company of a major private equity firm in a series of multi-jurisdictional bankruptcy and turnover litigations concerning ownership of shares of one of its minority shareholders.
Mr. Buchweitz graduated from Fordham University School of Law in 2002, where he was a staff member of the Fordham Law Review and Fordham Moot Court. Mr. Buchweitz graduated from Brandeis University in 1999, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, with a BA in Politics, History and Legal Studies, and received high honors for his Senior Thesis, “The Creation of the First Majority-Minority Congressional District in New York.”
Mr. Buchweitz joined the Firm as a summer associate in 2001. Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Buchweitz worked as a legal intern for Justice Ira Gammerman of the Commercial Division of the Supreme Court, New York County, and for the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Buchweitz served as a Legislative Intern for United States Representatives Peter T. King of New York and Martin Meehan of Massachusetts.
- US Court of Appeals 2nd Cir.
- US Court of Appeals 6th Cir.
- US Court of Appeals 9th Cir.
- Connecticut State Bar
- Eastern District New York
- Northern District New York
- New York State
- Southern District New York
- US Supreme Court
- Eastern District Michigan
- Eastern District Wisconsin
- District of Colorado
- Brandeis University (B.A., 1999)
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 2002)
Rate : $$$$