Yifan Mao focuses her practice on patent counseling, prosecution, and due diligence matters in the chemistry and life sciences industries, focusing in areas relating to diagnostics, large molecule therapeutics, devices, and bioinformatics.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Mao was a senior patent agent at Mendel Biotechnology Inc. in Hayward, California where she represented technologies including genomics, bioenergy, agriculture, and biochemistry and drafted and prosecuted domestic and international patent applications.
Prior to her legal career, Ms. Mao held research positions in a number of biotech companies, including Genentech and Genencor International (now DuPont Industrial Biosciences), focusing on cancer therapeutics and immunotherapy research.
While attending law school, Ms. Mao served as editor of the Santa Clara Law Review. She also worked as a summer associate with the firm in 2014 and was a student in the Entrepreneur’s Law Clinic at Santa Clara University where she represented legal entity formation, due diligence and contract matters for clients.
Ms. Mao was recognized as a Northern California “Rising Star” in 2018 for Intellectual Property by Super Lawyers magazine.
Ms. Mao’s native language is Mandarin Chinese.
- Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D., High Tech Law Certificate with honors (2014) magna cum laude, Dean’s List, Best Oral Advocate Award, CALI Awards, Witkin Awards, Emery Law Scholarship
- Michigan State University, M.S., Biochemistry (2000)
- Wuhan University, PR. China, B.S., Microbiology (1995)
- California (2015)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (2007)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California – Honorable Beth Labson Freeman (Aug-Dec 2014)
Rate : $$$$