Zach Chaffee-McClure enjoys finding efficient, creative solutions to complex business problems. He works extensively with breach-of-contract and breach-of-warranty claims, and he defends companies in banking litigation, business tort lawsuits, appeals and class actions brought under antitrust and consumer protection laws.
Zach has successfully defended clients in MDLs and other complex litigation involving various products and sales practices. He has also represented clients in high-stakes business arbitration and FINRA disputes, and his business litigation experience covers claims and defenses in several technical areas of law, including:
- non-compete and non-solicitation agreements;
- the Uniform Commercial Code;
- the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act;
- the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act;
- the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act; and
- various antitrust and consumer protection laws.
- Zach is a skilled trial attorney with multiple first-chair experiences, but his principal goal is to win cases before they get to trial. He has helped his clients favorably resolve litigation early in the legal process, including:
- Denial of class certification. Zach has defeated putative class actions before they are certified, saving his clients time and money. His results include defeating certification of proposed classes of FACTA plaintiffs in the Western District of Missouri and the Eastern District of Kentucky (Gist v. Pilot Travel Centers, LLC, 2013 WL 4068788 (E.D. Ky. Aug. 12, 2013)).
- Dismissal on the pleadings. Zach has successfully dismissed, with prejudice, inventive tort and contract theories, including:
- multiple antitrust lawsuits alleging conspiracy to bribe government contractors;
- FACTA and negligence claims alleging the defendant failed to mask credit card receipts, encrypt credit card data and protect consumer credit card information generally; and
- contract and tortious interference claims alleging improper poaching of employees. Quality Resources, Inc. v. Pfizer, Inc., 622 Fed. Appx. 606 (8th Cir. 2015) (affirming dismissal).
- J.D., Washburn University School of Law, 2007
- First in graduating class
- Washburn Law Journal, Technical Editor
- Moot Court Council, President
- Order of Barristers
- Kansas Supreme Court, Legal Intern to Chief Justice Kay McFarland
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas, Legal Intern to Magistrate Judge David J. Waxse
- B.A., Kansas State University, 2003
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Earl E. O’Connor American Inn of Court, Board of Directors
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel
- President (2018-2019)
- Board of Directors
Rate : $$$$