Zachary B. Busey practices employment and general litigation out of the Firm’s Memphis office. Zachary is licensed to practice in Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas. As a member of the Labor & Employment Group, he represents employers in a wide range of employment law matters, including claims of harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, and wage and hour violations.
He partners with employers to develop and implement policies and training programs aimed at reducing their exposure to litigation and liability. Zachary also focuses on social media’s and technology’s ever-changing impact on today’s workplace.
In addition, Zachary is a Certified Information Privacy Professional and a member of the Firm’s Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity Team. The Team provides advice and counsel on all facets of electronic information management and assists with internal policy creation and training, as well as outward facing messages such as website disclosures and e-commerce platforms. The Team also quickly responds to and provides guidance in the event of a data breach or incident.
Lastly, as a member of the Firm’s E-Discovery Committee, Zachary counsels attorneys and clients on e-discovery issues. He focuses on social media as part of the e-discovery process and best practices for data/document retention and collection through all phases of litigation, including pre-litigation.
- Mississippi College, School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Mississippi College, School of Business, M.B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Western, Middle and Eastern Districts of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Sixth, and Tenth Circuits
- Litigated breach of contract action on behalf of a supplier against former distributor; obtained summary judgment against former distributor, as well as a final judgment in the amount of $373,000.
- Overcame objections based on the Stored Communications Act and obtained both content and non-content information from Facebook and other electronic communication service providers.
- Following a finding of religious discrimination by the EEOC, obtained dismissal of federal lawsuit brought by former employee against national restaurant chain and obtained a complete defense verdict in subsequent arbitration proceedings.
- Obtained summary judgment in enforcement action brought by the EEOC against regional petroleum distributor involving claims of same-sex, gender-stereotyping discrimination and Title VII retaliation.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – International Association of Privacy Professionals (CIPP/US, CIPM)
- Recipient – 2013 Baker Donelson Pro Bono Award, Jackson Office
- Inducted – National Order of Barristers (2011)
- Member – Memphis Bar Association
- Member – Mississippi Bar Association
Rate : $$$