Zachary M. Rudisill focuses his practice on domestic and international tax policy and international trade policy. Before joining Akin Gump, Zachary served as principal advisor and tax counsel to Sen. Rob Portman during the creation, markup and passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in 2017.
As a member of Senator Portman’s retinue since 2014, Zachary staffed his efforts as co-chair of the Senate Finance Working Group on International Tax Reform. Zachary organized group hearings on international tax issues and presented on international tax reform options before the full Senate Finance Committee.
The group’s effort culminated in a bipartisan, 80-page report on the topic and led to the Senator’s being awarded the Tax Foundation’s Distinguished Service Award for 2015. These efforts also contributed to the passage in December 2017 of the most significant tax reform package in more than 30 years.
Zachary also managed the trade portfolio for Sen. Portman, a former U.S. Trade Representative, assisting him with the implementation of the Leveling the Playing Field Act and the Enforce and Protect Act. He also advised the Senator on ongoing trade negotiations and assisted him in drafting testimony that was delivered to the International Trade Commission on behalf of various constituents in antidumping and countervailing duty cases.
Before joining Sen. Portman’s staff, Zachary served as legislative director and tax counsel to Rep. David Reichert (R-WA). In that capacity, he oversaw the Congressman’s legislative portfolio as a member of the Ways and Means Committee. Zachary successfully advocated for Rep. Reichert’s priorities to be included in the Tax Reform Act of 2014.
Earlier in his career, Zachary was a legislative assistant to the tax staff of the Ways and Means Committee and to the Subcommittee on Select Revenue Measures, where he worked with the Committee Staff, the Joint Committee on Taxation, and the Office of Legislative Counsel in policy and legislative drafting work.
- Served as tax counsel to Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH), acting as his principal advisor during the creation, markup and passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
- Advising a major Fortune 100 domestic manufacturer on tax reform implementation issues.
- Informing a Fortune 100 manufacturer on a variety of domestic and international tax issues, including tax reform implementation.
- Advising private equity firms on tax issues affecting the industry.
- Advising an internationally owned U.S. business on tax issues, including tax reform and implementation.
- J.D., Michigan State, 2009
- B.A., Northern Michigan University, 2006
Rate : $$$