Zaed M. Billah has a decade of experience with patent litigation in U.S. District Courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission. He also has substantial experience with inter partes review proceedings in the US Patent and Trademark Office and with appeals before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Zaed’s litigation responsibilities include taking and defending fact and expert depositions, arguing at hearings and trial, and preparing witnesses for deposition and trial.
His recent litigations involved a wide range of technologies, including smartphones and tablets, digital cameras and camcorders, video and image processing software, GPS systems, narcotics and explosives trace detection security systems, and DVD and Blu-ray technology.
- Kawasaki Rail Car in an inter partes review proceeding relating to a design for a television system in subway cars. The PTAB found all challenged claims unpatentable. Kawasaki Rail Car, Inc. v. Scott Blair, IPR2017-00117 (P.T.A.B.).
- Sony in a patent litigation relating to video transcoding software. The Court granted Sony’s motion for summary judgment of invalidity based on prior art software. MedioStream v. Microsoft, et al. (N.D. Cal.).
- Sony in a patent litigation relating to optical drive hardware. The Court granted Sony’s motion for summary judgment of non-infringement, and the ruling was affirmed on appeal. Intellectual Science and Technology v. Sony (E.D. Mich., Fed. Cir.).
- Sony in an inter partes review proceeding against an owner of a patent relating to cache coherence technology. The Patent Trial and Appeal Board found all instituted claims unpatentable. Sony v. Memory Integrity(USPTO).
- Sony in a trade secret litigation relating to DVD authoring technology. The Court granted Sony’s motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim. MedioStream v. Microsoft, et al. (N.D. Cal.).
- Sony in an ITC litigation relating to GPS systems. The case settled on favorable terms for Sony. In Re Certain Wireless Devices including Mobile Phones and Tablets, II (ITC).
- JD, University of Houston Law Center, cum laude, Order of the Barons, 2006
- BS, Electrical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2003
- New York
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, District of Colorado
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Supreme Court
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
Rate : $$$$