Zakarij O. Thomas has a broad base of experience from representing financial institutions and other lenders in workouts, loan restructurings, forbearance agreements, intercreditor agreements, sales of real estate and going concern sales in and out of bankruptcy to representing developers and other entities in real estate acquisition, finance and general real estate matters, as well as navigating Public-Private Partnerships and affordable housing projects.
By spending substantial time early in his career on bankruptcies and workouts and related litigation, he understands what really matters going into a transaction and how deals terms play out when they are put to the test.
Zak prides himself on fully understanding a client’s business needs and motivations. After 14 years as a practicing attorney, Zak spent three years working for one of the country’s largest Community Development Financial Institutions as a senior program officer for real estate lending, focusing on economic development and affordable housing finance, technical assistance and policy.
Returning to Buchanan, he is excited to utilize this unique experience for the benefit of his clients, particularly as it relates to opportunities in revitalizing communities and Opportunity Zones.
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 2001
- Carnegie Mellon University, B.S., 1998, Honors, business administration, minor in engineering studies
- National Development Council, Rental Housing Development Finance Professional Certification, 2018
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Rate : $$$$