Zhi-Ying James Fang has more than 30 years of experience in China-related international business transactions. He structures, documents and negotiates strategic alliances, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate restructuring, financial transactions, and equipment leasing for U.S. and international manufacturing and private equity clients.
Jim assists clients in an array of industries including, financial, insurance, automobile, retail, chemical, semiconductor, clean energy, machinery, media and entertainment, computer, and pharmaceutical.
He regularly provides advice in intellectual property protection strategies and in handling troubled business workouts in China. Jim also represents China-based companies in mergers and acquisitions, direct investment, financial transactions, and other business transactions in the U.S.
Jim is one of the founders of the firm’s Shanghai office, a foreign arbitrator of the Shanghai Arbitration Commission and the Jinan Arbitration Commission, and he is he Adjunct Professor at East China University of Political Science and Law. Jim’s clients benefit greatly from his profound understanding of U.S. and Chinese culture, business practices and systems, and his ability to advise clients from a comparative law perspective.
Jim’s clients include: Bank of China, China Eastern Airlines, Cigna International, Genencor International, W.L. Gore & Associates, The Timken Company, and Anthem.
- Foreign Arbitrator, Shanghai Arbitration Commission
- Foreign Arbitrator, Jinan Arbitration Commission
- Law Professor, International Business Law; Director, International Law Department – East China Institute of Political Science and Law (presently East China University of Politics and Law), 1982-1985
Professional & Community Activities:
- American Bar Association
- All China Lawyers Association (inactive)
- Law Professor and Deputy Dean, International Law Department, leading Chinese law school (prior to U.S. immigration)
- Frequent speaker to various forums, including American Conference Institute, American Corporate Counsel Association, State Bar of California, Prince Wales Business Leader Forum, China’s Ministry of Justice and a number of municipal and provincial governments in China
- Ph.D., Comparative Law, University of Washington School of Law, 1991
- LL.M., Comparative Law, University of Washington School of Law, 1986
- Master of Laws, Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences Law Institute, 1982
Rate : $$$