Zoë K. Wilhelm has a diverse litigation practice with a focus on class actions, accounting and valuation litigation, and general business disputes. Zoë has significant experience in the defense of consumer class actions involving claims asserted under state consumer protection laws, the California Gift Card Law, the California Invasion of Privacy Act (CIPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and implied and express warranty law.
Zoë is well-versed in class action issues ranging from the routine – e.g., removal under the Class Action Fairness Act (CAFA) and settlement approval – to the highly technical – e.g., one-way intervention, mandatory (no opt-out) classes, exceptions to CAFA jurisdiction, and class certification. Zoë has defended class actions in jurisdictions throughout the country.
- Successfully defended telecommunications company in a class action asserting violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Successfully defended car manufacturer in a class action asserting violations of the California Invasion of Privacy Act.
- Obtained advantageous class-wide settlement of California Invasion of Privacy Act claims in one of two competing class actions and successfully defended settlement from proposed intervenors.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of pharmaceutical company in an age discrimination case after successfully removing the case to federal court on the basis of fraudulent joinder.
- Defended insurance company in class action alleging the insurer improperly charged for workers compensation insurance for independent contractors.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2009, Journal of Constitutional Law
- Yale University, B.A., 2004
Bar Admissions : California, New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$$