Zubin P. Khambatta represents leading hospital systems, public hospitals, and physician group practices in complex reimbursement, regulatory, and transactional matters. One of his practice areas is the development of and participation in Medicaid supplemental payment programs for hospitals and physicians in several states, including in Texas under the state’s Section 1115 Demonstration Waiver. He also represents providers in sale transactions, business entity formation and governance, and contracting arrangements and services agreements.
On the regulatory side, he advises hospitals and providers on compliance with healthcare fraud and abuse regulations, federal provider-related donation and provider tax regulations, federal Medicaid managed care regulations, federal Medicare Advantage regulations and compliance program requirements, state laws governing the provision of charity care, and the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA).
Additionally, Zubin has advised providers on state corporate law matters, Texas Medical Board certification, and federal tax issues affecting nonprofit, tax exempt organizations.
Prior to joining Husch Blackwell, Zubin worked in the commercial litigation group of a large international law firm. In this capacity he assisted in the defense of a healthcare insurance umbrella organization against allegations of federal antitrust violations.
He also represented a healthcare revenue cycle management company in its defense against allegations that the company’s business practices violated EMTALA, HIPAA/HITECH, and federal and state deceptive trade practice and consumer protection laws. In addition, he represented Fortune 500 companies and private equity funds in large stakes commercial and mass tort litigation.
- Medicare and Medicaid Reimbursement
- Represents Texas hospitals and hospital systems with respect to participation in Texas’ 1115 Medicaid Demonstration Waiver.
- Represents Texas hospitals with respect to participation in state’s Medicaid managed care uniform rate increase program and related compliance issues.
- Provides advice related to qualification for and participation in Medicaid Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) programs and related audits and recoupments.
- Advised large hospital systems about the development of and participation in supplemental Medicaid reimbursement for services provided by physicians and midlevel practitioners.
- Advises major national hospital systems on implications of and compliance with Medicaid managed care regulations.
- Healthcare Transactions
- Represents hospitals and physician practices in connection with stock or asset sales, management agreements, formation of joint ventures, and other complex business transactions.
- Advises healthcare providers about and draft transactional documents, including sales agreements, management agreements, and debt instruments.
- Represents providers with respect to completion of formation and governance documents related to qualification as a Texas nonprofit health organization.
- Drafts and provides advice regarding healthcare services agreements related to behavioral health, MRI services, diagnostic testing, and services of ancillary providers.
- Healthcare Regulatory Counseling
- Advises hospitals regarding requirements of state law provider tax rules and compliance of provider tax arrangements with federal regulations.
- Advises healthcare contractors about compliance with Medicare Advantage regulations governing delegated activities.
- Advises national hospital systems about compliance with state law charity care requirements.
- Advised long term acute care hospital on compliance with hospital within hospital regulations related to staffing of nurses.
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School
- M.Sc., University of Edinburgh Scotland
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania
Admissions : Texas, Illinois
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- American Bar Association, Health Law, Litigation
- Texas Bar Association, Health Law, Antitrust and Business Litigation, Litigation
- Austin Bar Association
Rate : $$$