Brett M. Henson is a member of the firm’s Litigation practice group, Brett’s focus is in the areas of commercial and construction litigation. He counsels and assists construction industry professionals regarding dispute avoidance procedures, along with contract preparation, review, and negotiation. Brett also uses his experience and knowledge in resolving claims involving insurance proceeds.
In addition to construction law, Brett routinely litigates product liability matters on behalf of manufacturers, including manufacturers of building products. Clients also turn to him for representation in a broad range of complex commercial and business litigation matters, from initial case inception and early resolution, through trial.
As a former prosecutor and civil trial lawyer, Brett gained extensive litigation and trial experience in various state and federal courts representing individuals, businesses, and insurance companies. He works to develop a litigation strategy early in a case in an effort to control costs and reach an early resolution, if possible.
- J.D., Stetson University College of Law, 2010
- B.A., Political Science, Stetson University, 2006
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Florida, 2010
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2013
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 2014
- Assisted developer and general contractor of large, multifamily residential development in resolving pre-suit §558 demand in excess of $140 million for claims related to roof and building envelope failures.
- Represented developer in copyright infringement action brought by architectural services firm for alleged misappropriation of architectural plans, resulting in favorable settlement at mediation.
- Defended subcontractor against claims related to breach of lease, quiet enjoyment, and injunctive relief during build-out and remodel of commercial retail space, resulting in successful settlement at mediation.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict on behalf of specialty subcontractor during a two-month construction defect trial in which Plaintiffs sought damages in excess of $16 million.
- Represented a diverse range of construction industry professionals in construction defect claims involving single family, multifamily, and commercial properties.
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law
- The Florida Bar, RPPTL Section, Construction Law Committee, Publications Subcommittee Chair
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyers Section
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Downtown Sarasota Alliance, Secretary
Rate : $$$$