Andrew Hutton is Senior Counsel in the Austin office of Gordon & Rees and is a member of the Drug & Medical Device, Tort & Product Liability, Appellate, Commercial Litigation, and Construction practice groups.
Mr. Hutton has developed a broad practice representing clients in complex civil and appellate litigation pending in state and federal courts throughout Texas and around the country.
He has extensive experience in a wide variety of litigation matters, including business and commercial disputes, product liability, premises defect, construction defect, toxic tort and personal injury cases.
In 2011, 2012 and 2013, Thompson Reuters named Mr. Hutton a “Rising Star” in Texas Super Lawyers® Magazine, a distinction given to less than 2.5% of the lawyers in Texas.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Hutton served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Texas and as an Assistant Criminal District Attorney in Tarrant County, Texas. He also served as a Briefing Attorney for the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals and as a Legal Intern for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
Mr. Hutton received his J.D. in 1999 from Duke University School of Law in Durham, North Carolina, where he graduated magna cum laude. While at Duke, he also served as a Volunteer Community Educator for the Rape Crisis Center of Durham, and was active in the school’s Death Penalty Clinic and Criminal Litigation Clinic.
Mr. Hutton also holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Tulane University, where he achieved Dean’s List honors and graduated cum laude in 1995.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Duke University School of Law, 1999
- B.A., cum laude, English and Theater, Tulane University, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
Community Involvement :
- Ruling Elder, Dripping Springs Presbyterian Church
- Bond Steering Committee, Dripping Springs Independent School District
- Gifted & Talented Advisory Committee, Dripping Springs Independent School District
- Co-Chair, Friends of Dripping Springs Education
- Core member of national teams defending pharmaceutical companies in multiple mass tort litigations, including litigations involving diet drugs, cox-2 inhibitors, medication to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease, hormone replacement therapy drugs, and acne medication;
- Coordinated national team in removal to federal court of state court-filed pharmaceutical cases where plaintiffs had fraudulently joined forum defendants in effort to defeat diversity jurisdiction;
- Successfully obtained dismissal of a stucco contractor in construction defect case involving 26 townhome buildings;
- Successfully defended and mediated construction defect case on behalf of framing subcontractors in lawsuit alleging defects in a 72-building condominium project;
- Successfully obtained dismissal of corporate defendant in a breach-of-contract and fraud lawsuit alleging improper appropriation of an energy technology;
- Successfully represented an electric utility against allegations that its high-voltage alternating current had caused interference with a gas pipeline company’s cathodic protection systems;
- Successfully obtained dismissal of German corporation from employment lawsuit on personal jurisdiction grounds;
- Successfully litigated motion to transfer venue from a Texas federal court to a Colorado federal court in a product liability lawsuit.
Rate : $$$