Ann Hurwitz has more than 30 years of experience advising US franchisors on the structuring and operation of their domestic and international franchise programs. She also represents non-US based franchisors expanding into the US market.
She has devoted particular attention to the complex issues arising from the ownership of multiple brands, co-branded opportunities, system restructuring and brand acquisition. She also advises clients on the structuring of non-franchised distribution systems.
Among other honors, Ann has been recognized repeatedly by the International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers as one of the “10 most highly regarded individuals internationally.” She has been listed in Chambers USA every year since 2007, in Chambers Global every year since 2012, and repeatedly in The Best Lawyers in America beginning in 1995.
She has also been recognized repeatedly for her work in franchise law in Dallas by D Magazine. A two time winner of the International Law Office Client Choice Award for Franchising, Ann has been praised as “very practical, able to understand business issues and extremely commercially aware.” She was featured in the September 2014 “Winning Women” issue of Texas Lawyer.
Ann concentrates her practice on franchise and distribution law representing clients of all sizes, from start-ups to mature companies with multi-national operations. Representative clients include leaders in the hotel and hospitality, restaurant and retail industries.
- University of North Carolina (J.D.) (1980)
- University of South Carolina (B.A.) (1977)
- Texas~United States (1983)
- North Carolina~United States (1980)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Franchise Law Journal – Editor-in-Chief, ABA Forum Franchising (1993-1997)
- State Bar of Texas – Chair, Franchise and Distribution Law Committee, Intellectual Property Law Section (1994-1996)
- American Bar Association – Governing Committee, Forum on Franchising (1997-2000)
Representative Legal Matters:
- Negotiated for home services franchise company settlement of franchise regulatory violations with 10+ franchise registration states.
- Advised a tanning salon franchise company in connection with acquisition of existing West Coast-based tanning salon company, including related due diligence and integration of target company’s franchisees.
- Represented large private equity company in due diligence in connection with purchase of 350+ unit sandwich QSR franchise company.
- Developed US franchise program for large Israeli coffee shop franchise expanding into US market and provided related strategic advice.
- Advised private equity company and investors with respect to significant investment in fast-growing frozen yogurt chain based in California.
- Advised one of the world’s largest convenience store franchisors in connection with international arbitration with multi-unit licensee in Asia.
Rate : $$$