Bethany Hengsbach is a partner in the Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Ms. Hengsbach specializes in government investigations and compliance, with an emphasis on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”).
Ms Hengsbach represents businesses and individuals in enforcement actions brought by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission. She has also conducted numerous internal investigations and compliance inquiries for several U.S. and foreign corporations, and designs and implements compliance programs including policies and procedures, training, and internal controls.
- J.D., DePaul University, 1997, member and Citation Editor, DePaul University Journal of Health Care Law, two-time recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award, Dean’s Scholar
- Cornell University, University of Paris IV, Panthéon-Sorbonne, Institute of International and Comparative Law, 1995
- B.A., University of Illinois, 1994, with distinction
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Ms. Hengsbach has designed global anti-corruption compliance programs for several large multinationals in the technology, consumer brands, military products, and engineering services industries, including policy drafting, training, due diligence, and monitoring.
- Ms. Hengsbach has provided FCPA advice and counsel to several domestic and foreign entities, including advice re promotional activities, travel and hospitality, and facilitation payments.
- Ms. Hengsbach represented an importer in a patent infringement dispute before the International Trade Commission, successfully negotiating a licensing agreement to settle the case on favorable terms.
- Ms. Hengsbach acted as the “first chair” trial attorney in a construction dispute wherein plaintiff sought damages in excess of one million dollars. After opening statement and cross examination of the plaintiff’s key witness, plaintiff accepted defendant’s pre-trial settlement offer, resolving the case on favorable terms.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Rate : $$$$