Brian Breheny heads the firm’s SEC Reporting and Compliance practice. He concentrates his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and general corporate and securities matters.
Since joining Skadden, Mr. Breheny has advised numerous clients on a full range of SEC compliance and corporate governance matters, including advising clients on compliance with the provisions of the Dodd-Frank Act, the SEC’s tender offer rules and regulations, and the federal proxy rules. He also serves as co-chair of Skadden’s global Diversity Committee.
Prior to joining Skadden in 2010, Mr. Breheny held a number of leadership positions in the Division of Corporation Finance at the SEC. He began as chief of the Office of Mergers and Acquisitions in July 2003, and in November 2007 he became deputy director, legal and regulatory policy.
Mr. Breheny also assisted the commission with its consideration of significant rule amendments in a number of areas including shareholder director nominations, tender offers, beneficial ownership reporting, electronic delivery of proxy materials, electronic shareholder forums, short sale disclosure, and proxy voting and shareholder communications.
Before joining the SEC, Mr. Breheny worked at another international law firm in its New York and London offices. During his previous seven years in private practice, he advised clients engaged in a broad range of merger and acquisition transactions, securities issuances, private equity investments, banking and public financings, fund formations and corporate reorganizations. Mr. Breheny began his career as a certified public accountant with KPMG LLP.
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law, 1996 (cum laude; Editor, St. John’s Journal of Legal Commentary; Member, New York International Law Review)
- B.S., St. John’s University, 1990 (highest honors)
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Chairman (2012-2015) and Vice Chairman (2010-2011; 2016-2017), Proxy Statements and Business Combinations, Subcommittee, Federal Regulation of Securities Committee, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Advisors, Securities and Exchange Commission Historical Society
- Member, Board of Directors, Society for Corporate Governance (formerly, the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals)
- Member, Board of Directors, and President, Association of Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni, Inc.
- Member, Advisory Board, Annual Institute on Securities Regulation and The SEC Institute, Practising Law Institute
- Member, Executive Committee, Securities Regulation Institute, Northwestern University School of Law
- Member, Washington, D.C. Leadership Committee, Lambda Legal
- Member, St. John’s University Board of Governors (2006-2017)
- Member, Board of Directors and Finance Committee, Treasurer, The National LGBT Bar Association (2012-2015)
Rate : $$$$