Brittany Cvetanovich joined Ropes & Gray in 2011 and practices in the tax & benefits department. She focuses her practice on matters for tax-exempt organizations, tax controversy matters and partnership tax issues.
Brittany regularly advises tax-exempt organizations on formation, reorganization, joint ventures with for-profit entities, investment activities and partnership tax matters. She advises clients in court and in IRS and state administrative proceedings involving income, estate and gift tax matters.
Brittany also has a wide range of experience advising private investment fund managers and investors on tax issues relating to the formation and operation of private equity and hedge funds.
Brittany’s active pro bono practice has included the successful representation of innovative community organizations seeking tax-exempt status, as well as advising human trafficking survivors on tax considerations relevant to civil settlements obtained against their traffickers. Before joining the firm, Brittany clerked at the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2010; Harvard Law Review, Editor
- BA (History and Economics), Michigan State University, 2007; Phi Beta Kappa
- Illinois, 2012
- Massachusetts, 2011
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable Sandra L. Lynch, U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (2010 – 2011)
- Advised major U.S. and international charitable organizations on the structure of their U.S. operations.
- Obtained tax-exempt status for groundbreaking “pay for success” organization and for health maintenance organization.
- Advised private fund sponsor on structure of investments to address investor’s private foundation tax issues.
- Representing a large hedge fund in ongoing proceedings in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the U.S. Tax Court.
- Representing a client before the U.S. Tax Court in a dispute regarding gift and estate tax and transferee liability issues.
- Represented university endowments, funds of funds and charitable foundations in their investments in U.S. and international private equity and hedge funds.
Rate : $$$$