Carmita Alonso is a Partner at Fragomen’s New York office and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. She has built a strong practice while serving in a leadership capacity and remaining committed to providing pro bono services. Carmita represents top global financial services, technology and professional services organizations, leading law firms and a broad range of small and medium corporate clients and individuals across industries.
Carmita provides enterprise-wide advisory services to support corporate clients on a programmatic level. She works alongside clients’ legal departments, government relations groups, mobility groups, HR, talent acquisition and business stakeholders to help them understand policy changes, assess the impact of these changes to their workforce and modify their immigration program accordingly.
Carmita is trusted by her clients’ business stakeholders and leadership teams as a strategic advisor, and she counsels them as they make strategic decisions about their immigration programs—all with an eye toward managing risk and ensuring compliance.
Carmita also has extensive experience in advising clients with respect to due diligence considerations related to corporate reorganizations such as mergers and acquisitions as well as complex post-transaction employment issues.
Carmita regularly provides pro bono services to the greater New York City community, particularly the Latino community. She recently completed six years on the Board of the City Bar Fund, which oversees the New York City Bar Justice Center, the nonprofit legal services affiliate of the New York City Bar Association. She continues to participate in pro bono efforts sponsored by the Justice Center and is an active contributor to the Justice Center’s efforts.
- The George Washington University School of Law | J.D., 1996
- Providence College | B.A., 1993, cum laude
Bar Admissions: New York, Florida
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Member, Council for Global Immigration
- Member, The Spain-US Chamber of Commerce
- Member, The Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Member, The Hispanic Lawyers Society of New York
- Former Board Member, New York City Bar Justice Center, the nonprofit legal services affiliate of the New York City Bar Association
Rate : $$$