Cecelia Bonifay, chair of Akerman’s Land Use and Development Practice, helps developers navigate the governmental approval process for their real estate projects. With a strong background in urban planning and development approvals for large-scale projects, she has represented DDR, FedEx, Kitson & Partners, Mattamy Homes, and Pineloch Management, among others in the development of commercial, residential, and industrial projects.
Clients benefit from her keen analysis of a wide range of land use, zoning, sustainable development, and environmental matters. She performs due diligence for development projects in Florida and across the United States.
Collaborating with the firm’s land use development and planning professionals, Cecelia assists clients in permitting and structuring economic incentives packages. Having worked in a variety of posts in Florida government agencies, Cecelia understands the approval process from both sides of the table.
Cecelia has devoted more than 25 years to the community. She has held several leadership positions at the Urban Land Institute, including co-chair of the Climate Change, Land Use, and Energy Committee, immediate past chair of its Florida Statewide Summit, a current member of its 2017 Executive Planning Committee, and chair of its Central Florida District Council.
She is a member of the Advisory Board for the Kelley A. Bergstrom Real Estate Center at the University of Florida and secretary treasurer of the Orlando Economic Development Commission. She also serves as the president emeritus of the Crealde School of Art and as a board member of United Arts of Central Florida.
- J.D., Florida State University College of Law, 1985
- M.S.D., Florida State University, Urban & Regional Planning, 1973
- B.A., Florida State University, History, 1967
Bar Admissions : Florida
Professional Experience :
- Lake County, Florida, City Attorney and Attorney to the Lake County School Board
- Department of Community Affairs, Florida, Assistant to the Secretary and Lobbyist
- Department of Administration, Florida, Liaison to the State’s 11 Regional Planning Councils
- Orlando Economic Partnership, Executive Committee Member, Board Member; Finance Committee, Co-Chair
- Orlando Economic Development Commission, Board of Directors, Secretary/Treasurer, 2016; Finance & Audit Committee, Chair, 2016; Strategic Planning Committee, Chair, 2016; Business Development Committee, Former Co-Chair, 2016
- Bergstrom Center For Real Estate Studies, University of Florida, Advisory Board Member
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Central Florida District Council, Board Member, Past Chair; ULI Florida Summit, Chair
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Climate Change, Land Use, and Energy (CLUE) Committee, Co-Chair
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) of Orlando, Past President
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), Member
- Orange County Arts & Cultural Affairs Advisory Council
- Crealde School of Art, Board of Directors; Past President, Past Secretary
- United Arts of Central Florida, Board Member
- Leadership Lake and Orange Counties, Graduate
Rate : $$$$