Charles E. Lipsey, named as the 2013, 2017, and 2018 “Outstanding IP Litigator of the Year (Virginia)” at the Managing Intellectual Property Americas IP Awards, focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation, particularly patent infringement litigation.
Charles has handled cases covering a diverse spectrum of mechanical, chemical, and electrical technologies, with an emphasis on cases involving biotechnology and pharmaceutical chemistry. Since joining Finnegan in 1978, Charles has amassed a wealth of experience in patent infringement litigation, patent arbitration proceedings, and patent interferences. He is a Fellow of American College of Trial Lawyers.
The Legal 500 U.S. has recognized Charles’s distinguished career over the years, naming him one of the leading lawyers in patent litigation and inducting him into the patent litigation Hall of Fame. He has also been recognized by Intellectual Asset Management as a leading patent litigator in the D.C. area, and for his practice before the Federal Circuit.
Charles was also inducted into LMG Life Sciences’ Hall of Fame, and recognized as “Hatch-Waxman (Branded) Litigator of the Year,” at the LMG Life Sciences Awards in 2013 and again in 2018.
He has been ranked among top U.S. patent lawyers in Legal Media Group’s Guide to the Worlds Leading Patent Law Practitioners since 2011. World IP Review recognized him as a WIPR Leader for patents in the United States.
- George Washington University, National Law Center LL.M., Patent and Trademark Regulation Law, with highest honors, 1981
- George Washington University Law School J.D., high honors, 1977
- Georgia Institute of Technology B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1972
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- The District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
Rate : $$$$