Charles (“Chip”) H.R. Peters concentrates his practice in commercial litigation with a focus on class actions and issues related to technology companies. He serves as the firm’s General Counsel, chairs the firm’s Professional Practice Committee and teaches Professional Responsibility and Ethics as an adjunct professor at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law. He previously led the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group.
Chip’s practice places a particular emphasis on the telecommunications industry and he has successfully defended major telecommunications companies in a wide variety of matters, including class actions involving alleged violations of consumer protection statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, antitrust laws, constitutional provisions, and other state and federal laws.
Chip has also represented a variety of other businesses in a wide array of commercial litigation, including trade secret disputes, dealer terminations, breach of contract claims, and alleged frauds.
Chip looks for ways to resolve disputes in an efficient manner when possible. If necessary, however, he has significant trial experience. He has represented major corporations, public entities, and other organizations in multi-week trials in both state and federal courts.
He has successfully defended clients at trial against billion dollar claims and obtained multi-million verdicts on behalf of other clients. He has also represented numerous entities in preliminary injunction hearings and other matters involving expedited emergency relief.
- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, J.D., 1986
- Miami University, B.S., 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- Chicago Council of Lawyers, Board of Directors, State Court Practice Committee, Past Chair
- American Bar Association, Litigation Division, Communications Law Forum
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolutions, E-Discovery Neutrals Training Committee
CIVIC AND CHARITABLE MEMBERSHIPS:
- Chip serves on the boards of the Legal Aid Society of Chicago and the James B. Moran Center for Youth Advocacy, and on the advisory board of the Center on Wrongful Convictions.
Rate : $$$