From 1992 to 2005 Charles F. Rogers was a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee and from 1995 to 2005 was the Partner-in-Charge of the Firm’s Providence Office. Chip has represented national, regional and local developers, investors and lenders with respect to retail, residential, office and industrial projects throughout the United States.
That representation has involved all facets of project activity, including acquisition, development, financing and disposition. Chip also assists developers and investors with respect to capital formation and joint venture agreements.
Chip has extensive experience in negotiating development agreements, ground leases and air rights agreements, as well as commercial and residential condominium documentation.
He has also represented lenders in connection with first mortgage construction, permanent and mezzanine debt as well as bulk sales and purchase of real estate assets. More recently his lender representation has focused on debt restructuring.
More recently he has represented in Rhode Island the lender that financed the Deepwater Wind project off the Rhode Island coast, the first project of its kind in the United States, as well as in Massachusetts the lender for the proposed Cape Wind project.
He has also represented a wind project developer in connection with negotiations to lease an on-shore staging facility for a new off-shore project. From 2005 to 2008, Chip was Managing Director and General Counsel of a major integrated real estate development company headquartered in Providence.
In that capacity he was responsible for all legal activities of that company and its affiliates, including negotiating its joint venture agreements, relations with the company’s investors and all aspects of the company’s retail, industrial, residential and recreational projects in the US and the UK.
As a Managing Director, Chip was also involved in the strategic, operational and other non-legal activities of the company. That experience has given Chip the direct benefit of the client’s perspective, a perspective that enhances Chip’s ability to provide advice and guidance to his clients.
Representative Experience :
- Representation of owner/developer in connection with acquisition and development and subsequent sale for $400 million of a portfolio of retail properties located in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Ohio, Illinois, Florida and California.
- Negotiation of a three party development agreement for a Pasadena, California project to create underground parking facilities to serve nearby retail project owned by another party and enable client to construct a $100 million residential project above.
- Represented developers in assemblage of parcels in West Palm Beach, Florida and acquisition of transferable development rights for a contemplated $200 million residential project.
- Negotiation of agreements to purchase, finance, develop and operate a £100 million luxury membership club in St. Andrews, Scotland.
- Represented an international fast food restaurant operator in the sale of its restaurants in Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
- Represented a major national bank in connection with receivership of a Florida shopping center and subsequent sale.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Real Estate Finance Association
- J.D., Boston College Law School
- B.A., College of the Holy Cross
Admissions : Rhode Island; Massachusetts
Rate : $$$$