Charlie C. Speth is a litigator who focuses his practice on complex civil litigation and government enforcement matters. Mr. Speth has a broad range of commercial, government and regulatory litigation experience, having represented clients in the defense or prosecution of claims alleging securities fraud, violations of the False Claims Act, price fixing under the Sherman Act, false advertising under the Lanham Act, breach of contract, violations of consumer protection and unfair competition statutes, unjust enrichment, tortious interference, copyright violations, and trade secret misappropriation.
Mr. Speth has also represented both corporations and individuals in connection with investigations and enforcement matters conducted by the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission. In addition, Mr. Speth has helped to advise firm clients, including a national bank and a leading accounting firm, on regulatory matters.
Mr. Speth is a member of the District of Columbia Bar Association and the Litigation and Business Law Sections of the American Bar Association.
- Represented defense contractor in action against the Air Force concerning the launch of military satellites under a FAR Part 12 commercial item contract; litigated three-week, 24-witness trial before Armed Service Board of Contract Appeals.
- Represented a major international retailer in action alleging misappropriation of trade secrets related to the design and manufacture of athletic shoes in China; obtained voluntary dismissal following discovery.
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in False Claims Act litigation based on allegations of deceptive marketing to physicians; obtained dismissal of all claims on grounds of public disclosure bar and Rule 9(b) following discovery and an evidentiary hearing on the applicability of the public disclosure bar.
- Represented a manufacturer of TFT-LCD panels in connection with criminal price fixing investigation, state attorneys general investigations and private multidistrict class actions.
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2005
- BA, History, Yale University, 1999
ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia
CLERKSHIPS : The Hon. Julia Smith Gibbons, US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2005 – 2006.
Rate : $$$