Chip English concentrates his practice on complex commercial litigation and regulatory matters for business and trade association clients, especially in food and agriculture. He is a seasoned litigator with extensive experience in the food and agriculture industry, including over 25 years of experience in organic farming and processing regulation, and is well-versed in a multitude of agricultural regulatory programs.
Chip handles significant FDA recall and other food safety issues. He regularly advises clients on labeling issues and defends clients against class action claims that products are mislabeled or misleading. Chip also focuses on constitutional matters involving the Commerce Clause, federal preemption, commercial speech, and the First Amendment.
Throughout the course of his career, Chip has represented clients before multiple state and federal agencies, including especially the Food and Drug Administration, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the New York Department of Agriculture and Markets, and the California Department of Food and Agriculture where he has obtained numerous favorable rulings and results. He has also appeared successfully before the U.S. Supreme Court, in addition to arguing regularly before a number of district and appellate courts
- Represents private parties and trade associations in federal court litigation challenging and defending federal and state regulatory decisions involving the food and beverage industry
- Represents processor and producer groups in formal hearings and informal rulemaking before USDA and state agencies (e.g., California Department of Food and Agriculture)
- Represents private parties in compliance, recall, and regulatory review before FDA
- Counsels clients in enforcement actions and state and federal investigations
- Provides legislative and lobbying support at state and federal levels
- Principal, Ober|Kaler, Washington, D.C., 2008-2012; 1992-2000
- Partner, Thelen LLP, 2000-2008
Professional & Community Activities:
- Agricultural Law Association
- Administrative Law Section; Litigation Section – American Bar Association
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1984
- B.S., Commerce, University of Virginia, 1981
Rate : $$$$