Darren M. Franklin is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Since 2003, Mr. Franklin has been privileged to represent Sheppard Mullin’s clients in a broad range of intellectual property matters, including patent litigation, patent post-grant proceedings, patent prosecution, trademark litigation, unfair competition claims, and IP due diligence.
A graduate of Stanford Law School in 2000, Mr. Franklin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Margaret M. Morrow in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California and practiced intellectual property law in Silicon Valley for two years before joining Sheppard Mullin. Now a partner in Sheppard Mullin’s Los Angeles office, Mr. Franklin has extensive experience representing clients in the federal courts and in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
His experience includes arguing (and winning) multiple patent infringement cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and dispositive motions in the U.S. District Courts. Among other cases, Mr. Franklin argued and won a significant motion and Federal Circuit appeal based upon the patent ineligibility of abstract ideas in the wake of a 2014 Supreme Court case.
Mr. Franklin is a registered patent attorney with expertise in patent litigation, patent post-grant proceedings, patent prosecution and counseling, trademark litigation, unfair competition claims, and IP due diligence. His clients are involved in diverse industries and technologies, including aerospace, computers, entertainment, gaming, lighting, medical devices, office products, pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, software, sports products, telecommunications, and video games. Mr. Franklin is a member of Sheppard Mullin’s e-discovery team.
- J.D., Stanford Law School, 2000. Executive Editor, Stanford Law Review. Member, Stanford Technology Law Review.
- B.A., Physics & Political Science, University of California, Berkeley, 1997. Member, Phi Beta Kappa.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- California federal courts
- California state courts
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association. President, 2014-2015. Vice President, 2013-2014. Secretary, 2012-2013. Treasurer, 2011-2012. Chair of Law School Outreach Committee, 2008.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association. Vice Chair of Inventor Issues Committee, 2009-2011. Co-Chair of Giles Rich Moot Court Competition Committee, 2009. Member of 2009 Spring Meeting Planning Committee and 2008 Annual Meeting Planning Committee.
- Public Counsel Adoptions Project, volunteer attorney
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Stanford Alumni Association
- California Alumni Association
Rate : $$$$