Doreen S. Martin is a litigator with extensive experience representing private and public entities, as well as nonprofit and educational institutions in internal investigations, government investigations, and related litigation in state and federal courts. A key focus of her practice is conducting sexual harassment and workplace misconduct investigations on behalf of educational institutions and corporate entities.
Doreen also regularly defends employers in discrimination, harassment, and retaliation cases in state and federal courts. Doreen is a former state prosecutor with first-chair trial experience and appellate experience, and is a trained Title IX investigator.
Doreen has conducted internal investigations for educational institutions, nonprofit organizations, and private entities, acting on behalf of general counsel, management, audit committees, and boards of directors, stemming from allegations of workplace misconduct, Title VI and Title IX complaints, financial fraud, and Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA) violations, among others.
She has experience representing public companies and individuals in civil and criminal government enforcement actions, including actions brought by the United States Attorney’s Office and the New York Attorney General’s Office.
Doreen regularly conducts investigations for K-12 and higher education schools related to allegations of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, bullying, and sexual misconduct. She represents schools in Title IX complaints before the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights. She often represents clients in state and federal courts in follow-on litigation related to educational institutions’ handling of inappropriate conduct allegations.
She has developed and revised policies and procedures in compliance with federal and state laws, including Title IX, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Clery Act, and Article 129-B of the New York Education Law.
She develops bespoke training programs for clients focused on conducting effective investigations and maintaining a respectful workplace. She also assists with a coordinated PR response and internal communications.
- Representing a law school in New York in an Article 78 proceeding brought in New York State Supreme Court in connection with the school’s decision to suspend a student after Title IX investigators determined that student violated the school’s sexual misconduct policy
- Conducted an internal investigation for a university in Baltimore, Maryland in connection with allegations that a dean of the university created a hostile work environment for employees
- Drafted an internal investigations protocol for higher education institution in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Represented private school (K-12) in an Article 78 proceeding brought in New York State Supreme Court in connection with school’s decision to suspend a student for a violation of the school’s code of conduct
- Conducted an internal investigation for an international nonprofit organization related to a Department of Justice (DOJ) investigation into possible FCPA violations
- Represented a monoline insurer in litigation concerning representations and warranties that were made regarding the issuance of residential mortgage-backed securities
- Advised an educational institution regarding allegations that the director of the school’s residency program harassed and intimidated students
- Conducted an internal investigation for a national weekly magazine publisher regarding whistle-blower allegations of fraud and embezzlement
- Advised and defended two debt settlement companies in actions brought by the New York Attorney General’s Office for violations of consumer protection statutes
- Conducted an internal investigation for a financial services company related to federal and state investigations into student loan industry payment practices.
- J.D. Albany Law School 2000
- B.A. Hartwick College 1997
Bar Admissions : New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Professional Memberships :
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
Rate : $$$